20 Cars that have gone over 1 Million miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

A Schaeffer oil Million Mile Ford engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDF1zcaxrNU is interesting,
as its an engine teardown of one. Schaeffer works.

No way to prove it was Schaeffer's responsibility for making it to 1 Million miles. He kept saying how clean the engine was inside... to me that's more a function of great air filtration and good oil filtration more than the oil itself. Those are obviously all highway miles, which is quite easy on an oil... RPM is up around 2000-2500 so there is lots of oil flow, and good cooling. Plus, the E-series vans hold about 8 gallons of coolant, so there is no real fluctuation in temps... that's a LOT of thermal mass. Also, that's a pre-cam-phaser trickery 5.4, so nothing really difficult.

Yeah, 1M miles is good, but the only way to prove Schaeffer's was responsible would be to do identical testing with same filters and maintenance routine, while only changing the oil brand.

That could be said for any high mileage engine. The oil is just one part of the equation, albeit a important one. Even amsoil cannot take complete credit for any success.

Originally Posted by brages
Originally Posted by SirTanon
I know for a fact that the Volvo at the #1 spot has had multiple engine/trans replacements. Doesn't minimize the fact that it has managed to go over 3 million miles on essentially the same body/frame... and with the same guy driving it all that time, since it was brand new.

He also keeps a bunch of parts in his trunk while he's on the road.

Other cars--taxis, for instance--have run up impressive mileage figures, but they've gone through a succession of engines and transmissions in getting there. What makes Irv's accomplishment so remarkable is that his Volvo is pretty much as it was when he drove it off the lot all those years ago. Sure, parts that routinely wear out have been replaced--things like spark plugs and tires and windshield wiper blades. But the engine block? Original. The cylinder head? Original. The gearbox, the overdrive, the differential? All original. You can count the major surgeries on one hand: The engine has been rebuilt twice, and the third gear synchronizer and the ring and pinion were replaced before the car had covered its first million miles. And that's it. This from a year-round driver that gets parked at the curb each night.

(For the benefit of the skeptics, we should mention that Irv has documentation from Volvo that every part of his car that has a serial number matches the car's original build order. "I have to prove nothing, as Volvo is satisfied my car is authentic and original. My body number, VIN and engine number are on my original bill of sale. Anyone who wants to put his money where his mouth is and wants to make me benefit financially--just make me a bet!" he laughs.)

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2011/11/Driven---1966-Volvo-1800S/3704971.html

Hmmm, yeah, you're right. I was remembering the following, and for some reason remembering it as replacements, not overhauls:

"He's done all that on the original engine, although Mr. Gordon has had it overhauled twice, at the 680,000-mile mark and again at nearly 2 million miles."

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/20...arly-3-million-miles-in-his-1966-volvo-1800s/

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I'm guessing a lot of these vehicles have also lived their lives in areas where there is no salt/snow.

There are several original Honda Insights with over 700,000 miles on the clock, aluminum body and 1 liter 3 banger go and go

Originally Posted by brages
Originally Posted by SirTanon
I know for a fact that the Volvo at the #1 spot has had multiple engine/trans replacements. Doesn't minimize the fact that it has managed to go over 3 million miles on essentially the same body/frame... and with the same guy driving it all that time, since it was brand new.

He also keeps a bunch of parts in his trunk while he's on the road.

Other cars--taxis, for instance--have run up impressive mileage figures, but they've gone through a succession of engines and transmissions in getting there. What makes Irv's accomplishment so remarkable is that his Volvo is pretty much as it was when he drove it off the lot all those years ago. Sure, parts that routinely wear out have been replaced--things like spark plugs and tires and windshield wiper blades. But the engine block? Original. The cylinder head? Original. The gearbox, the overdrive, the differential? All original. You can count the major surgeries on one hand: The engine has been rebuilt twice, and the third gear synchronizer and the ring and pinion were replaced before the car had covered its first million miles. And that's it. This from a year-round driver that gets parked at the curb each night.

(For the benefit of the skeptics, we should mention that Irv has documentation from Volvo that every part of his car that has a serial number matches the car's original build order. "I have to prove nothing, as Volvo is satisfied my car is authentic and original. My body number, VIN and engine number are on my original bill of sale. Anyone who wants to put his money where his mouth is and wants to make me benefit financially--just make me a bet!" he laughs.)

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2011/11/Driven---1966-Volvo-1800S/3704971.html

The more detailed account doesn't discount what SirTanon has stated though, really:

The engine has been rebuilt twice, and the third gear synchronizer and the ring and pinion were replaced before the car had covered its first million miles. And that's it.

The engine has been rebuilt twice. Ergo, it's not the "same" engine. It has been bored, honed, new rings...etc. A rebuild is extensive, even when one claims they are reusing the original block and head.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by camryrolla
This list is pretty much meaningless unless they can confirm that these cars reached the million mile mark on the original engine and original transmission/head gasket.

Agree with this. For example, #5, the 1963 VW Bug. Having owned several of those in my lifetime those motors wouldn't get close to 100k miles without significant work - valve jobs and push rod tubes are particular weak points. Engine oil was filtered with a wire screen. The crankshaft was so flexible the part number if the center main bearing would sometimes get hammered into the case!!!

This story reminds me of the story of Great Grandpa's old axe. Yeah, it's his old axe - but it's had 27 different handles since new!

Scott
Grandpa's axe as I heard it: "Yep, two heads and three handles, but it's still Grandpa's axe!"
smile.gif

A veteran mechanic told me years ago that an air-cooled VW (well, that's almost all there was then - the Rabbit was just being introduced) could go 200,000 miles, but would need three engines to get there. A friend did get over 100,000 miles out of the original engine on an air-cooled bus. He attributed it to his use of 20W-50.

Originally Posted by grampi
I cannot believe Toyota Corolla isn't on this list...

I can't imagine anyone wanting to drive a Corolla for that long, that's why!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Patman

laugh.gif

1/2 of Brampton is.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Burt
I'm more impressed with the guy who stays with the same wife for many years rather than those that run up these ultra high mileages with an inanimate object. Too much windshield time for me.

You do realize that 2 out 3 times, it's her leaving him and not the other way around.

Now maybe it's because he's in the car so much, so yeah, I get that aspect of your post.

However, the reality is it's not men who have a problem with commitment once they make the commitment.

So the real question is will women stay with their man they way men stay with a million mile car.

This list is missing all of those 1977-1985 W123 Mercedes diesels.

Plenty of them over 1M mark; with documentation, MBZ used to give you a grill badge.

Originally Posted by macarose
I wrote about this...

https://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/18/what-million-mile-cars-really-tell-us-opinion/

You make a good point in there regarding the importance of the owner on the longevity of the car. I won't dispute that. I know that with my Fusion, when I started getting an occasional misfire on Cylinder 1 almost 2 years ago, I had plenty of people telling me to get rid of it and get something else. I chose to keep it and get it fixed - a relatively easy and painless fix too - but there was also pressure from the dealership to replace the entire engine, which I insisted was not necessary.

Many other owners - most I would actually expect - would not go through with the repair work, and simply get rid of the car. It might have found life later on as a beater, but it certainly would not end up being maintained well afterwards.

I maintain the car, and expect it to go at least 400,000, and I'm really hoping it will go past 500,000.. fingers crossed. .. but I'm a minority in the overall car-owner's world.

.. on the other hand, the platform is a solid one. The 2.5 liter engine in this car is built for durability and longevity, so it makes it easier to hit that goal. If this was a late 90's/early 2000's Chrysler Concorde, things would be very different.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Patman

laugh.gif

1/2 of Brampton is.
lol.gif

True, and most of them are beige!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by javacontour
You do realize that 2 out 3 times, it's her leaving him and not the other way around......., the reality is it's not men who have a problem with commitment once they make the commitment.

TRUTH....... and not because he was cheating on here, either.

I generally witness/experience (in real life) that women are often the ones always looking for greener pastures.....

I think some of the ingredients for the recipe to achieve a high Mileage are as follows:

1. It's a cool car and still looks good even if it's 20 years old.
2. You're not in a rust belt so it is still rust free.
3. You live in an area where your life is not going to be in danger if you break down out on the highway.
4. You don't pay attention to the fact that installing a rebuilt tranny is more money that you can get for the car.
5. The price of a new vehicle identical to the old one is astonishing. ( Anyone price out a new Suburban)?
6. You have fond memories on what went on in the car.

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Million mile cars have always fascinated me. I've done a lot of research on cars that make it to a million miles and beyond. My primary curiosity on the subject is related to - wait for it - yep, motor oil.

What I've found is that there is no leading motor oil that can claim to be better than all others. No one oil can, or at leas has, claimed to be in the crankcase of more million mile cars than anyone else. Sure, Shaeffer makes a big deal about the car that made it a million miles on their oil. You hear a little about the truck that made it a million miles on Amsoil. Not on the list is a woman from Canada that made it a million miles on a Tacoma that she used for delivering fish to restaurants. never found anything to say what oil she used, but she did state that all maintenance, including motor oil changes, were done on schedule at her local Toyota dealership. So it could have easily been Pennzoil or Valvoline bulk. Or even TGMO.

Another that is not on the list is a BMW that Mobil ran a million miles on Mobil 1 and Mobil gas. They tore the engine down afterwards and measured all wear parts. All parts were well within original specification, and most were close to nominal.

Then the guy with the 3 million (almost 4 million now) mile Volvo. He has always used Castrol. When he first bought it, Castrol GTX wasn't even on the market, so he used it's predecessor. When GTX was introduced, he started using it, and has done so ever since.

those are the only ones that I have found any history of what motor oil has been used.

So what do we learn from these? Is it to stay with one motor oil for the life of the engine? I don't know. But we definitely don't learn that the boutique oils are any better than the other name brands at extending engine life.

15 mins is enough seat time for me and most in the abysmal VW Beetle and some but spent 1 million miles

I could only tolerate 250k in my 95 Civic sold perfectly running. No thanks it was too uncomfortable.

Last edited:
One interesting thing about the 3 million mile Volvo is that the owner said he changed the oil himself every 3000 miles in his driveway. One thousand oil changes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back