20 Cars that have gone over 1 Million miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
That could be said for any high mileage engine. The oil is just one part of the equation, albeit a important one. Even amsoil cannot take complete credit for any success.

That was my point, Pim
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by PimTac
That could be said for any high mileage engine. The oil is just one part of the equation, albeit a important one. Even amsoil cannot take complete credit for any success.
That was my point, Pim
smile.gif

Right! My Mazda made past 600K on maybe a dozen brands of engine oil in those 33½ years. Should I credit the ArcoGraphite it used through most of its first 100K or so? No apparent engine-wear issues (although it did develop other engine problems).

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by grampi
I cannot believe Toyota Corolla isn't on this list...

I can't imagine anyone wanting to drive a Corolla for that long, that's why!
laugh.gif

Oh come on, I can think of worse cars to drive...my Corolla has 360K now and I don't mind driving it...

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
We all know the McDonalds French Fries beneath the driver's seat would still look good after 1 million miles.

laugh.gif

Nevermind I had a burger patty fall off a Big Mac some time ago in my '86 Caravan I was driving and I found it a year later and although it was rock hard it wasn't molding. I think that is what changed my opinion on McDonalds food.
grin2.gif

The thing is, many of these million milers look better than most 5 year old 100k milers that get traded off because the owner doesn't care for it and then loses faith at the first sign of trouble.

Originally Posted by StevieC
We all know the McDonalds French Fries beneath the driver's seat would still look good after 1 million miles.

laugh.gif

Nevermind I had a burger patty fall off a Big Mac some time ago in my '86 Caravan I was driving and I found it a year later and although it was rock hard it wasn't molding. I think that is what changed my opinion on McDonalds food.
grin2.gif

That's one of the reasons I like McDonald's food, I know it won't go moldy in my belly!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by brages
One interesting thing about the 3 million mile Volvo is that the owner said he changed the oil himself every 3000 miles in his driveway. One thousand oil changes!

If there was anyone on the planet that absolutely positively needs to be doing extended intervals with synthetic, it's Irv Gordon. I can't believe someone as smart as him is as foolish as to be doing 3k oil changes. What a huge waste of time. I'm sure his engines would have lasted just as long if he did 10 to 15k changes with synthetic, and he would have saved himself a ton of time (with the time he saved he could have driven another 100,000 miles!)
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by StevieC

laugh.gif

grin2.gif

That's one of the reasons I like McDonald's food, I know it won't go moldy in my belly!
laugh.gif

Synthetics are changing the world. Including food.
crackmeup2.gif

If everyone said they'd ditch the car if the repair was more than the car's worth there would be a lot fewer million milers. I like that bumper sticker : "Don't laugh, it's paid for".

Right, you'd need a motor model with quality engineering genetics and history to believe the repair would be durable hence valuable...I'll bet many were of a simple proven over time design.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

A Schaeffer oil Million Mile Ford engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDF1zcaxrNU is interesting,
as its an engine teardown of one. Schaeffer works.

No way to prove it was Schaeffer's responsibility for making it to 1 Million miles. He kept saying how clean the engine was inside... to me that's more a function of great air filtration and good oil filtration more than the oil itself. Those are obviously all highway miles, which is quite easy on an oil... RPM is up around 2000-2500 so there is lots of oil flow, and good cooling. Plus, the E-series vans hold about 8 gallons of coolant, so there is no real fluctuation in temps... that's a LOT of thermal mass. Also, that's a pre-cam-phaser trickery 5.4, so nothing really difficult.

Yeah, 1M miles is good, but the only way to prove Schaeffer's was responsible would be to do identical testing with same filters and maintenance routine, while only changing the oil brand.

Talk about unnecessary bashing.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Really? it seemed like a pretty straightforward and factual response to me. What words in his post do you consider "unnecessary bashing"?

Originally Posted by dave1251

That's not bashing. That's a very matter-of-fact comment, in my book. Bashing would be something like "Shaeffer's sucks and had nothing to do with it". His comment was more like "Shaeffer's may have, but you can't just assume"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back