2 stroke oil recommendation

Can you recommend a couple of good 2 stroke oils for pre mix for an old 1967 Harley Davidson golf cart. It is a 2 stroke low revving non hi performance, air cooled engine. I have found some sites that say to use tcw3 marine oil. This has me confused. The motor was designed to hop from hole to hole on the golf course but now is used to just toolle around the home stead. I worry about detergents on an old engine. There are conventional oils , synthetic, partially synthetic ect.. Please help, Thank you

The TCW3 oil is the proper choice. Low RPM engines use a low ash oil . Makes less deposits. What are you confused about and what concern do you have with the detergents in a 2 stoke oil?

Last edited:
I have a 1983 EZ Go 2 stroke that is injected and I use Amsoil Interceptor and it seems to be fine. I use it because I have it for dirt bikes. I also add a small amount to the fuel since it is driven around a camp ground and not from golf hole to hole. I would think a marine TCW3 would be fine.

TCW3 is meant for water cooled engines.
I use cheap TWC3 oil in a water cooled 1955 outboard and an air cooled 1982 chainsaw. Engines run perfectly with little to no deposits.
You want to make sure the cooling fan works well on this golf cart.

1668643531520.jpg

This has always worked very well for me, and it's cheap.

This question seems very familiar…
I’m a big fan of Mystik Sea & Snow myself-it’s a synthetic blend 2-stroke that has been shown to outperform some synthetic 2-stroke oils, for a much lower price. If it’s good enough for a hi perf snowmobile, it’s good enough for a golf cart!

Last edited:
The TCW3 oil is the proper choice. Low RPM engines use a low ash oil . Makes less deposits. What are you confused about and what concern do you have with the detergents in a 2 stoke oil?
I don't understand why tcw3 marine oil is reccomended over oil that is strictly for air cooled engines. Is it because it is a low revving engine? I was concerned with the high detergents cleaning up that old motor making the old motor loose and sloppy?

Any current oil is better than the 1967 stuff it was born with. More than likely, it was a 20:1 mix back then if it is not oil injected. If not injected than 40:1 is the mix to use with modern oils. Any full synth. oil will do, injected or premix.

I don't understand why tcw3 marine oil is reccomended over oil that is strictly for air cooled engines. Is it because it is a low revving engine? I was concerned with the high detergents cleaning up that old motor making the old motor loose and sloppy?
Most aircooled oils are higher ash and the high rpms clean off the deposits. TWC3 oils are for lower RPM engines and run cleaner at lower RPMs. Anything that the oil cleans out will be blown out the exhaust and will not make an engine loose and sloppy. I like 2 stroke engines.

I've never seen plain bearings in a 2-stroke large engine like this carts 245cc motor.
Plain bearings need pressurized lubrication.
Open bearings lubed by oil / fuel mist. Rollers on the big end, needle in the wrist pin is standard 2 smoke carbureted construction.

Nothing but Amsoil "Sabre" in my 1983 StihL chainsaw and weedeater (50 to 1) that I purchased new. I also use it in our 1990 EZ-GO golf cart (128 to 1) because its a large low rpm 2 stroke. Almost smokeless.

Most aircooled oils are higher ash and the high rpms clean off the deposits. TWC3 oils are for lower RPM engines and run cleaner at lower RPMs. Anything that the oil cleans out will be blown out the exhaust and will not make an engine loose and sloppy. I like 2 stroke engines.
OK, thank you for the info. Are there any tcw3 oil stand outs? The guy I bought the cart had been using penzoil tcw2. He had bought a case of it probably before tcw3 came out. Should I stick with penzoil tcw3? And would you go tcw3 regular or synthetic?

I've never seen plain bearings in a 2-stroke large engine like this carts 245cc motor.
Plain bearings need pressurized lubrication.
Open bearings lubed by oil / fuel mist. Rollers on the big end, needle in the wrist pin is standard 2 smoke carbureted construction.
Those bearings were common on 2 stroke stuff into the early 70's and required a 16:1 mixture to get enough oil on them.

Those bearings were common on 2 stroke stuff into the early 70's and required a 16:1 mixture to get enough oil on them.
Those carts ran at something like 128:1 so they probably had roller bearings on the crank and needle on the wrist pins

Back