2 queations...oil/engine flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 questions for your expertice....

1) my 4.6L v8 T-bird has 82,000 miles, and I'm currently runnning Pennzoil synthetic 10w-30 in it(with Motorcraft FL-820S). I got pretty negative feedback about this oil in this site, but noone really suggested an alternative....is this such a bad oil? Then what should I use? can i use Castrol syntec 0w-40 in my car, or is it only good for european imports? I have no oil leaks and do not burn oil, but should i use high mileage oils due to the mileage any way?
will mobil1 cause oil leaks in a car this old, 'cause it's too thin?

2) I'd like to get an engine flush before my next oil change..what is the safest way to do it? is motorvac harmful?
any advice would be much appreciated...

I cant comment much on the brand of oil as I dont have a firm grasp on truly understanding the quality differences between brands. I've gathered though that most oils will work "fine" when changed in the proper interval. Although I'm not sure but I dont think that penzoil synth is a "true" synthetic. I think it might only be partially synthetic (dont qoute me)

When it comes to engine flushing, I know there is a whole slew of products you can purchase for this. It seems though that without a doubt there are two products here that quite a few people use and enjoy greatly, they are Auto-rx (www.auto-rx.com) and Nutrea (you can find the number to order it on this site) I lack personal experience with nutrea (but I have purchased a gallon and am still awaiting it in the mail) I am also currently running a treatment of Auto-Rx so my personal tests have yet to be completed but due to so much positive feed back on this site I am hoping for some improvments.

I guess I didnt answer any of your questions but I tried with-in my knowledge!

The Pennzoil Synthetic oil is probably not a "bad" oil. But it's certainly overpriced and is not a true synthetic oil. The Syntech is in the same boat unless the 0W-40 is the European formula which I believe is fully synthetic (PAO-polyalphaolefin). In any event there are few (if any) oil analysis on this board for the Pennzoil. We know from experience that the Mobil 1 especially the 10W-30 has given excellent UOA's as does Amsoil. So both these oils are superior to Pennzoil (IMHO). I doubt if your vehicle will leak with Mobil 1 10W-30 if the vehicle is newer than 1980's.

I have never used a flush bc I have used all synthetics for the last 9 years and therefore didn't feel that I needed them. I still question the value of flushes but there are those who can say with some authority that they are a good thing. http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=5

Bottom line: I would go with the Mobil 1 10W-30 and in Tenessee you could thicken it up a bit with a 25% mixture of the Mobil 1 15W-50. 10W-30 is fine though.

I second Al on the M1. You can't go wrong with the full synthetics. I wouldn't worry about engine flushing since you don't have any problems.

Just switch to the M1 at your next interval change.
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back