2 Ford specs: anything to worry about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon folks. Getting ready to change oil in friends 2009 Ford Focus 4dr. QSUD 5w20 meets the one Ford spec, but MS5K meets 2 Ford specs. Anything to worry about if I use QSUD 5W20 in her car?

Thank You in advance
wink.gif

20190803_123258.jpg

15648501594258864693099085114284.jpg

I believe the 945a spec is the API SN one and the 945b1 spec is for the API SN plus spec...

I believe that the B1 specification was the updated spec when SN plus came out... I could be wrong.. though I doubt it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
I believe the 945a spec is the API SN one and the 945b1 spec is for the API SN plus spec...

I believe that the B1 specification was the updated spec when SN plus came out... I could be wrong.. though I doubt it
smile.gif

Google search shows jack squat, so found a old thread saying B1 is for LSPI. Oh well, MS5K 5w20 SN+ went in as good enough to meet two old OR new specs, good enough for a 10 year old car with 40k on it
wink.gif

no warranty no worries use whatever, but surely older cars with miles on them should use a xxw30 IMO. i use at least xxw-30 in anything i own or service!

smile.gif

Yep, the -B1 spec is to meet LSPI (SN Plus) requirements.

-B1 supersedes -A.

I doubt a 2009 Focus needs SN Plus (-B1) but won't hurt to use it.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

smile.gif

Yep, the -B1 spec is to meet LSPI (SN Plus) requirements.

-B1 supersedes -A.

I doubt a 2009 Focus needs SN Plus (-B1) but won't hurt to use it.

Yeah, MS5K is cheaper than ST oil. Rural Iing has it at $12.79

Either would be fine.

The QSUD also has Dexos1-Gen2 which is probably a tougher spec than the Ford ones which just point to SN or SN-Plus.

The only Ford spec I really chase is 913-D

Owner's manual only refers to Ford's oil specs as a veiled threat to warranty coverage. Otherwise, it just says use an oil that meets API specs.

You can use either. If she has the dreaded dual clutch transmission tell her to get ready to spend money on that.

Originally Posted by KevinP
You can use either. If she has the dreaded dual clutch transmission tell her to get ready to spend money on that.

It's a 2009, so regular transmission. I'll never own a newer model focus with that horrible CVT trans

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by KevinP

It's a 2009, so regular transmission. I'll never own a newer model focus with that horrible CVT trans

Dual clutch and CVT aren't the same kind of transmissions. No dual clutch (ie Ford's "PowerShift") until 2011 in the Fiesta and 2012 in the Focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back