2-Cycle Pre-mixed by VP Racing

Does anyone out there use this product regularly in 50:1 applications? How does it compare with TruFuel?

VP_Racing.jpg

Last edited:
^ and I can't see why people buy anything in a can, when carbs are so cheap these days. I mean if it's to store in your summer cabin or something, sure the longer shelf life makes sense then, but otherwise, it's less hassle and expense to me to not stock special fuel, just replenish and mix as I use it so it doesn't get stale.

I burn wood in winter and have about a dozen saws. I use canned gas in the lesser used saws as well as my weed whacker and in my ice auger.

The ice auger is a great example. I added SEF two seasons ago. Unfortunately, I didn't get out last year.
I went out a couple of weeks ago and she fired right up on just a few pulls. The fuel looked/smelled fine.
E-gas mix would have gunked the carb. TruFuel is fine, but SEF is a buck cheaper and easier for me to get, so that's what I've been running.

^ and I can't see why people buy anything in a can, when carbs are so cheap these days. I mean if it's to store in your summer cabin or something, sure the longer shelf life makes sense then, but otherwise, it's less hassle and expense to me to not stock special fuel, just replenish and mix as I use it so it doesn't get stale.
Back in the day I had a Lawn-Boy 2-cylce mower that ran on 32:1 fuel to oil mix. At the time I was mowing over half an acre and ethanol wasn't an issue. In '98 I bought a 4-cycle powered mower, so there wasn't a need to mix a lot of fuel. When ethanol came on the scene most of my 2-cycle stuff started having problems.

I was running 1-2 quarts per year in the weed whacker and leaf blower up until last year. Since then I was gifted a 2-cycle snow blower and have started using the chain saw more often. I've used at least 2-1/2 gallons of pre-mix since late August. I am debating whether or not to resume mixing my own since I do a convenient and economical source of ethanol free fuel.

It's a $1 cheaper than Tru Fuel at Lowe's. My question is how do they get a 40:1 and 50:1 in the same can when Tru Fuel has separate cans for each. Maybe it's a 45:1 compromise mix ;). I'm sure it works fine in either situation.
That was my question too, although they do say that they use a synthetic oil. Perhaps their mix is 50:1 or higher but still meets the needs of 40:1 machines. That I could live with. What I don't want is a 40:1 mix that some marketeer says is okay to use in a 50:1 application.

Ok i maybe a little long winded here... well for me anyways... that doesnt happen often ..thankfully,,..lol
i have OPEs that needs 32:1 40:1 and 50:1 and some 4-cycle

Did some homework for close to a year, especially here on BITOG and elsewhere., as in fuel websites / contractors that run various OPEs in a day that I will run in year...... etc..
the take away was .. being accurate to the PPM of oil/Fuel dilution is a waste of time and your sanity...
if you're close... good enough...
as in, i will be using -one- 2 cycle blend for all my OPE... i am aiming for 40:1 +/-
What i have learned and accepted is that standard fuel pump gaz is not your friend for OPE
Trufuel / VP/ Aspen / Husq / Sthil... and others, is the way to go....

Then at all my local HDepots in Dec/Jan... dropped the price to 50% on Trufuel 4-cycle.. well gee-whiz.. scored 14 cans..
some may get to my snowblower.. the rest may get a little 2-cycle oil... ;)
hope this helps
:)
J.

That was my question too, although they do say that they use a synthetic oil. Perhaps their mix is 50:1 or higher but still meets the needs of 40:1 machines. That I could live with. What I don't want is a 40:1 mix that some marketeer says is okay to use in a 50:1 application.
That seems backwards to me.

Your engines "supposed" 50:1 applications are better off with a 40:1 mix, 50:1 was just an EPA thing that nobody would have moved to otherwise. I mean if you really want to preserve the environment then you aren't running 2 cycle anything...

Some will suggest that synthetic oil lubes better, can use higher ratio. Yes, you can somewhat cancel out its benefits doing that, or realize its benefits not doing that.

You can go too far down that path, much richer than 40:1 with a carb not set up for it that rich, but otherwise the richer mix downside is you have to clean your exhaust port at 50:40 ratio (120%) as often, but at only 20% difference, will more likely have an engine in good enough shape to bother cleaning it.

Back