2.3L EcoBoost Fuel Dilution

Get yourself an oil analysis kit and find out what your situation really is.In my case,and the way I drive,I do 5,000 mile oil and filter change.My vehicle says I can go 10,000.5,000 and I don't get red flagged,10,000 gets me red flag and fuel smell.It helps when you take the results to the sevice desk.Good luck

What does being synthetic and meeting spec have to do with fuel dilution?

Was fuel dilution not one of the parameters addressed with the move to SN+/ SP? SN+/SP over SM addresses some of the negatives of fuel dilution like timing chain wear, increased ring & piston wear, etc... If not please take me to school. I mean that as I here to learn.

Was fuel dilution not one of the parameters addressed with the move to SN+/ SP? SN+/SP over SM addresses some of the negatives of fuel dilution like timing chain wear, increased ring & piston wear, etc... If not please take me to school. I mean that as I here to learn.
I'm not sure how fuel dilution is addressed except through consideration of the simple mechanical dilution of the viscosity. Maybe you know more and that's what I was asking about.

I'm not sure how fuel dilution is addressed except through consideration of the simple mechanical dilution of the viscosity. Maybe you know more and that's what I was asking about.

No Sir, but I'm sure a few of the guys with a really deep knowledge base could school us both. From my reading, I believed SN+ and SP were needed to address that lowered viscosity you stated above that was a result of GDI and GTDI which can increase wear of timing chains, ring/piston wear, etc...

Glad were have this out to find out for sure.

Another update. The issue continues. It’s creeping up just as it did before. I called the dealer back only to find they no longer have a Ford franchise, and instead only continue presumably with Hyundai/Kia 🤢🤮 Now onto another dealer where I have an appointment scheduled 11/8. All I can say is, Ford better figure this issue out since it’s not just me experiencing this issue.

It may seem contrarian, but you may be ok. The first few oil changes I had with my 2.7 were wild. The first changed showed a very scary amount of consumption, like well over a quart brand new. The two after that went up, like yours. I moved to a thicker oil in concern of dilution and chain wear… been using a 10-30 since then. At about 20-24k miles, it settled out and has been rock solid. Does not seem to lose or gain, and doesn’t smell “fuelly” when dumped out. Mine seemed to just need to wear in.

I have a 22 Ranger and heard about the fuel dilution. Mine smells a little bit of fuel from day 1 and I had a break in oil change at 880 miles with Amsoil OE and went on a 2500 mile road trip.

Oil level never changed and the slight fuel smell is still there but not worse.

I am going to change the oil again very soon and keep roughly 4K oil intervals. Even if I am fine my OCD will not let me go past 4K. I’m am going to over maintenance my truck cause I love it!

I had a 2017 Ford Escape with a 2.0 Ecoboost and never had a problem with fuel dilution. The oil level never increased and the oil didn’t smell of gasoline. The 2.3 Ecoboost is essentially a bored and stroked 2.0 Ecoboost. Of course, I drove more rural highway miles than city miles.
Actually they are even more similar than that. A Ford site mentioned they both have an 87.5 mm bore.

Last edited:
UPDATE: 1/18/23

The Ford dealer called me today. Specifically, their foreman.

He said Ford finally acknowledged this issue has become larger than they first thought and are now moving to find/fix the issue. I told him about the talks regarding a class-action lawsuit (just so he can note it). He’s been undeniably helpful in this issue.

It’s now about a quart of fuel every 1,500 miles. “Something ain’t right here.”

Even if they do get it corrected,I would be concerned about how much the dilution shortened up the longevity of the parts in the engine.The oil is already thinner, tolerances tighter,temperatures higher.For the price you pay you expect value without compromising this

Even if they do get it corrected,I would be concerned about how much the dilution shortened up the longevity of the parts in the engine.The oil is already thinner, tolerances tighter,temperatures higher.For the price you pay you expect value without compromising this

Tolerances tighter?

Remember smelling fuel,rising on the dip stick does not take the place of a oil analysis done thru Polaris Labs when you hand it to your service advisors and say I think we have a problem

UPDATE: 1/18/23

The Ford dealer called me today. Specifically, their foreman.

He said Ford finally acknowledged this issue has become larger than they first thought and are now moving to find/fix the issue. I told him about the talks regarding a class-action lawsuit (just so he can note it). He’s been undeniably helpful in this issue.

It’s now about a quart of fuel every 1,500 miles. “Something ain’t right here.”
Tell me more about a class action lawsuit over oil dilution and the Ranger. My attempts to get a Ford service center to look into the issue were unsuccessful. They wouldn’t even write it on the service order. Ford Customer Service told me they would replace my engine if it failed before 60k miles, but wouldn’t do an oil analysis or accept my independent oil analysis.

I took my 2019 in for The Works plus an check engine light. I asked if Ford had changed its position on ignoring the rising oil on the dipstick. In 4,000 miles it had gone from the top of the hashmarks to above the round hole. The Ford service center's response was that there was not new guidance from Ford. Continue to ignore the issue is still the official Ford guidance to Ford service centers.

I took my 2019 in for The Works plus an check engine light. I asked if Ford had changed its position on ignoring the rising oil on the dipstick. In 4,000 miles it had gone from the top of the hashmarks to above the round hole. The Ford service center's response was that there was not new guidance from Ford. Continue to ignore the issue is still the official Ford guidance to Ford service centers.
Keep up on the dealership oil and filter changes,papers trail,by an oil evaculator device,sneak a oil sample out of a warm engine before going in.Send sample in to Blackstone-Polaris Labs,they will give you a% of fuel dilution,and a color of severity. Fuel is a solvent that will only harm a motor if you keep it long enough.I'm a bit sadden by Ford not owning up and looking for a solution.People work hard and spend their money,they expect value.Ford thinks they can beat an individual. The service people's hands and lips are zipped.Hang and good luck,Thanks for update

Back