2.3L EcoBoost Fuel Dilution

Hello all,

I’ve been noticing in the 14,500 miles I’ve had my ‘21 Ranger, there seems to be a fuel dilution “issue”. Whether it’s an issue or not, I’m not sure. My engine remains quiet, but I have noticed since my last oil change (~1,800 miles, mostly freeway or back, country roads) that the amount of fuel has seemingly increased. Real or perceived, I have no clue but it is now above the full line and above the top hole on the dipstick, indicating maybe upwards of as much as an extra .5 quarts in the sump. I’m thinking right around .3 extra.

I have it scheduled to be taken in for the dealer to look at it next week, but I’m curious if anyone has anything/articles/recalls they can provide me with. The service advisor was excellent, even saying with my daily round trip at 80 miles on mostly freeway, easy on the gas, he’s never heard of this happening. He mentioned short-tripping, but my short trips are 15-20 miles and my long drives can be upwards of 340 miles down through VA.

I appreciate any help and guidance. I am aware that DGI/turbo’s can have some fuel dilution issues, but this seems excessive with my driving pattern.

No harm with a dealer taking a look but so many dealers of just about ALL manufacturers are as trustworthy as a politician. Can you please post your oil choice, filter used, and how long an OCI you are running here? Eco's in general perform well with a synthetic meting spec and 5k OCI's. Some with their driving habits are readily going much further than 5k but it's a good baseline to start. Plenty of variables to figure out. I'd start with oil you are comfortable with and run a UOA (Blackstone $$ and not the best at fuel dilution analysis). Go from there....

No harm with a dealer taking a look but so many dealers of just about ALL manufacturers are as trustworthy as a politician. Can you please post your oil choice, filter used, and how long an OCI you are running here? Eco's in general perform well with a synthetic meting spec and 5k OCI's. Some with their driving habits are readily going much further than 5k but it's a good baseline to start. Plenty of variables to figure out. I'd start with oil you are comfortable with and run a UOA (Blackstone $$ and not the best at fuel dilution analysis). Go from there....
I’m running QSUD 5W-30 Full syn and a MC FL910S filter. I have stuck with approximately 4K miles per oil change since new, except the first oil change at 1,700 miles. Thanks!

4k miles should be good, you may want to look at euro spec 5w30 oil as it's a bit thicker and would offset some of the fuel dilution.
I’m open to anything at this point. I’ve watched some YouTube videos and some have found the injectors leak overnight. If that’s the case, it’s an easy fix for the dealer. Once they see what’s happening, I guess they’ll do a leak test and if it fails their specs, hopefully injectors will be replaced

I’m running QSUD 5W-30 Full syn and a MC FL910S filter. I have stuck with approximately 4K miles per oil change since new, except the first oil change at 1,700 miles. Thanks!

WOW! if it is fuel dilution something isn't right at 4k OCI with a synthetic meeting spec. Please let us know what it ends up being.

I had a 2017 Ford Escape with a 2.0 Ecoboost and never had a problem with fuel dilution. The oil level never increased and the oil didn’t smell of gasoline. The 2.3 Ecoboost is essentially a bored and stroked 2.0 Ecoboost. Of course, I drove more rural highway miles than city miles.

FWIW, I had a really nice custom ordered '21 that someone backed out of and went with an F-150 instead. I put thirteen thousand miles on it in 9 months. One day a TPMS sensor went off and said go to the dealer. It was a large screw that they fixed free. BUT, someone took the truck out and ran over something(18" scrape on air **** and mangled front license plate.) The truck then had a shake that couldn't be fixed and the dealer bought it back from me for more than I paid. Anyway... The only time the oil smelled of fuel was when I took the factory fill out at 2200 miles. Like all my vehicles I put M-1 EP 5W-30 in it and never smelled fuel again when changing.

I had a 2017 Ford Escape with a 2.0 Ecoboost and never had a problem with fuel dilution. The oil level never increased and the oil didn’t smell of gasoline. The 2.3 Ecoboost is essentially a bored and stroked 2.0 Ecoboost. Of course, I drove more rural highway miles than city miles.
That’s what I drive. 75 MPH at least for half or more of my drive.

So you're thinking based on your experience the OP has a problem?

How much oil does the 2.3 EB hold?

So you're thinking based on your experience the OP has a problem?

How much oil does the 2.3 EB hold?
The 2.3 EB has a 6.2 QT capacity. I put 6 in at the oil change and it read right at the full mark after letting it idle a minute and then waiting 15 mins before checking.

I’d just use Ford’s Motorcraft oil at the manufacture intervals and sleep well. Keep all documentation.
The problem is, the warranty is up at 36K miles. I can’t trust the OLM since at 4K miles, the oil would smell of straight gasoline. I’m leaning towards weeping injectors.

The problem is, the warranty is up at 36K miles. I can’t trust the OLM since at 4K miles, the oil would smell of straight gasoline. I’m leaning towards weeping injectors.

And for pretty much the same cost you can get a synthetic over a MC blend. Nothing wrong with MC blend but Ecoboost engines are hard on oil and worthy of an earlier than olm OCI with a synthetic meeting spec.

Can't be any help on this one. 28k on mine and it has never 'made' oil. OCI of 5K using various Havoline products. Not sure anyone knows why some do and some don't.

Well everyone, Ford is giving me a loaner. The dealer said there is an “SMM”??? Apparently a service notice or something. The shop foreman said he’s replacing the HPFP first and seeing if that fixes it. He said this is a real issue with the 2.3L. Ford is aware and Ford is actively trying to test their engines to see what is failing.

Back