1st PGE bill since solar panel install: $15.99

Our utility (BPU) is pushing leasing panels for $470 per panel with a $3.20 credit per month, so a little over 12 years to payback. That is if the lease is a one time purchase, should be but not sure I trust them. You can sell the panels back if you move. We're only planning on being here for 11-12 years but might keep the house regardless. After we pay the house off we discussed getting 4-5. Those solar farms are good way to kick start renewable energy.

JeffKeryk

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
Our utility (BPU) is pushing leasing panels for $470 per panel with a $3.20 credit per month, so a little over 12 years to payback. That is if the lease is a one time purchase, should be but not sure I trust them. You can sell the panels back if you move. We're only planning on being here for 11-12 years but might keep the house regardless. After we pay the house off we discussed getting 4-5. Those solar farms are good way to kick start renewable energy.
Leasing is a rip off as compared to a purchase. For example, Sunrun is being sold through Costco; Costco will not allow them to sell leased panels, only purchases. There is savings, but purchase is the way to go. I suggest you research options before taking the plunge.