1998 Jeep Cherokee oil spec?

What oil weight is spec'd for a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 inline 6 cylinder? It has been run with Mobil 10W/30 bulk oil. Am I safe with a 5w/30? How about a 5W/20? I have a good stock of 5W/30 Havoline High Mileage.

The Jeep has only seen about 1000-1500 miles per year for the past 15 years. It was changed once per yer. It was a fleet vehicle where I work and was just driven short distances on campus.

Thanks for your input.

Do not go lower than a 30wt oil in that engine or you will have engine damage.
I would actually recommend a 40wt oil knowing those engines quite well.

Using a 5w versus a 10w is better in colder weather.

You could change the oil every 2 years with the low mileage without issue.

Reactions: wlk
Your Havoline 5W-30 HM would be an excellent oil for this engine.

Changing every 2 or even 3 years will be fine with this low amount of use.

I personally use 15W40 here in S.FL as it never gets cold and the oil is cheap. in SD it gets cold so Id run a cheap 5W30 and call it a day, you could run an oil such as T6 5W40 if you like. But the 4.0 isn't very picky.

Just to clarify, now that I own the Jeep, it will probably see 4k-6k miles per year. I will probably stick to a once per year oil change, or twice per year at best. 5W/30 pretty much fits the bill for three of the family vehicles. I will stick to a 20wt in the 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. I stocked up on Napa Full Syn 0W/20 and will run it year around in this vehicle. I like not having to stock too many different oil choices. 5W/30 for the older vehicles. a 20 weight for the newer one.

Originally Posted by otis24
Just to clarify, now that I own the Jeep, it will probably see 4k-6k miles per year. I will probably stick to a once per year oil change, or twice per year at best. 5W/30 pretty much fits the bill for three of the family vehicles. I will stick to a 20wt in the 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. I stocked up on Napa Full Syn 0W/20 and will run it year around in this vehicle. I like not having to stock too many different oil choices. 5W/30 for the older vehicles. a 20 weight for the newer one.

Not sure if you manual says what mine does in 2018 but it says that a 5w30 can be used instead of 5w20. If that is the case for you, you can use 5w30 in both to keep it simple.

My '98 XJ 4.0 factory spec is 10W30, but it does better on HM 10W40 Maxlife (better oil pressure, less racket). 240,000 miles will do that to an engine! It actually burns, leaks, and has somewhat low oil pressure on 5W30, even in winter.

I'm a 40 weight fan myself.

5w30 is fine in the winter, but I'd go with a 40 something in the summer or 5w40 year round. Don't run 5w20.

My 2003 owners manual has 10w-30 for all temperatures down to 0F. For low temps 5w-30. I've used Pennzoil Ultra 10w-30 Never had a problem.

What oil weight is spec'd for a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 inline 6 cylinder? It has been run with Mobil 10W/30 bulk oil. Am I safe with a 5w/30? How about a 5W/20? I have a good stock of 5W/30 Havoline High Mileage.

The Jeep has only seen about 1000-1500 miles per year for the past 15 years. It was changed once per yer. It was a fleet vehicle where I work and was just driven short distances on campus.

Thanks for your input.
In South Dakota I know its a dry cold but I'd still go with the 0W-30 in the winter!

I’d go with Providence All Fleet 10w30 SP rated stuff. Dad uses it in his 97’ Grand Cherokee without issues. This in southwest PA

Back