1998-2015 Windstar RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I finally did it. After 17.25 years and 209,350 one owner miles, I traded in the Windstar on a 2015 eco-boost Fiesta. The Windstar was still functioning, but there had been a low rumble roar and vibration at 70 mph from the front right wheel that was either a bad wheel bearing, transaxle or suspension. Wasn't simply an out of balance tire. Also had a feeling that the tranny was not long for this world. Hard to let go and many memories, but it was time. Driver's seat was starting to lean like the tower of Pisa and the sliding door didn't.

Thought I'd pass on my experience for those that are wondering about keeping an old car. Leaky intake manifold fixed at 50k and brakes etc. It was otherwise pretty bullet proof until about 130k. At that point it needed carbon cleaning, cam sensor, injector cleaning and an intake runner manifold control valve (IMRC).
-Changed the struts and shocks at 154k.
-Fuel pump at 159.
-Replaced headlights and window motor at 166
-MAF sensor at 179
-Alternator at 186
-Radiator fan at 201
- Two ABS sensors recently.

Used every kind of oil. Last 70k miles was on 7,000 OCI. Used a quart every 5k for most of the time, maybe down to 3.5k on synthetic at the end.

Biggest nagging problem was rough warm starts (not hot or cold) if it sat for a few minutes beginning around 165k. Finally found out it was the other IMRC which by now was fused to the lower intake manifold and I would have had to take to a machine shop to remove bolts. Solved the problem by plugging one end with a golf tee and sticking a tooth pick in the other side. (Wife and kids rolled their eyes)

I got a great deal on year end close out of the fiesta, so it was time. 3 cylinder ecoboosts only come with a stick plus $900 premium for the engine, so they don't sell and are hard to find in South Texas but I managed to locate one.

While it has a lot of road noise like most cars in this class, it is a hoot to drive and gas mileage is crazy good. You can get whatever mpg you want based on how you drive. I got 51 mpg going into work. 38 mpg at 75 with the ac on. And its not broke in yet. We got it to tow behind an RV when we retire. Wish me luck for the next 18 years!

We had a fleet of those in about 2000, most were 1998's as I recall , while the one I drove handled , (an upper trim Northwoods? 3.8L?) well for a minivan they were all miserable vehicles overall, I remember constant problems with the dozen or so, head gaskets, transmissions , steering leaks, driver seats falling apart, electrical problems, lousy a/c...all before 36K. By my advice a half dozen were replaced by Toyota Siennas and maintenance costs fell way down, no longer at that job but I hear they have all Siennas now with a few Chrysler t&c.that's my windstorm story. I will say the body seemed pretty solid on the Widstars, Ford really should have nurtured these vehicles, especially while Chrysler Toyota and Honda were introducing more competitive minivans.

Last edited:
Good Luck!...for the next 18 years.
smile.gif

I usually keep my cars into their teens myself. The longest I've owned a daily driver was 18 years('88 Honda Accord/340K miles). And most of the others were around 16 years/~200K.

The last 2 cars(no longer in my signature), an '01 RX300 & '04 Altima 2.5S/14 yrs & 11 yrs respectively, were long enough. I just don't want to do the extensive & expensive repairs any longer. It just takes waaaaay toooo much time(I do most of my own repairs) from what I really want to do otherwise!

And to pay a shop/dealer thousands of dollar$ on depreciating older vehicles(for repairs that I can't do), is out of the question. I'd rather sell them off while there is still some equity in them and get newer vehicles.

Best of luck with the Fiesta!

CB

Last edited:
Equity in a car? And a 2001 Toyota isn't really old, my Camry is that old and in two years has cost me a set of tires, that's it, nothing at all wrong with a new car but saying "thousands " of dollars in repairs is probably pushing it unless you're taking something specific like a failed engine or tranny.

Ford started out with RWD biggies, moved up to easier-to-live-with front-wheelers in the 90's, and then did absolutely nothing to keep their vans competitive. It's pretty inexcusable considering what Kia's done with their Sedona. Leapfrogging all of the American minivans + the Quest with their new model.

Ford allowed it to die.
Although, does it really matter? The minivan market is about as stodgy in the U.S. as the pickup truck market. Nobody cared when they burned through their transmissions in all of those Caravans in the 80s and 90s. Everyone still buys them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 94 saturn sl1 2000 saturn sc2
900 dollar premium for a 3 cylinder engine...

That's an odd comment from an owner of an Eco-Cruze that has no engine upgrade, yet carries a $1,300 premium primarily for a higher overdrive gear. Isn't that the model that GM put a smaller gas tank in to save weight? Plus my 3 cylinder has 33% more torque than a comparable 4.

Of course the premium in both is also to cover low rolling resistance tires, aerodynamic features and other items.

congrats. if you shared some of your knowledge over at automotiveforums thank you. my '00 w/ 228k is about done too i feel. i'd invest more if quality parts were available and the body was w/o rust.
the '02 w/ 155k had a refresh 2 years ago- struts, springs, arms, half shafts. hope it makes it another 100k before the body also flakes out.
i hope that EB treats you well.

A friend had a Windstar and put 200K on it. Very good van overall. Lower intake gasket once. Used M1 5-30EP at 15-17K OCIs. When sold engine still ran great. He purchased a Chrysler van and said he still prefered the Ford.

A new car is always fun and exciting. Old troublesome cars are a pain.

Good to see you will get another 20 years of car ownership with Fiesta.

My parents have a 2006 Freestar with the 4.2L. Great van until the warranty expired. Nothing but headaches since and it only has 65k miles on the clock. Digital temp display/compass doesn't work, transmission rebuilt 2 years ago, TPMS doesn't work, now vehicle rolls when in P and on an incline. Trans shop says $2k to fix. They are using the parking brake instead of spending the $2k. Plus a laundry list of little things they've had failed on them.

Last year we rented a Ford Fiesta when we flew down to Florida. I thought the ride quality was really good, materials used throughout the interior seemed to be of good quality as well. The car seemed to have no problems merging onto the busy South Florida Interstate. Enjoy the gas savings!

That's awesome life out of that generation of Windstar. I hardly ever see those anymore. There are probably 5 Aerostars for every first gen Windstar here, so you did good.

~2001+ Windstars weren't nearly as miserable as the earlier models. We owned a 2001 from 2003-2008 and used the heck out of it.

Talk about total opposite ends of the spectrum from a minivan to a fiesta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back