1995 GMC Sierra 5.7L Coolant Type

Hello All,

I need to do a coolant flush on my 1995 GMC Sierra 1500 with 5.7L V8. This is the last year of the old school throttle body carbs. I haven't ever changed the coolant since I got it. I think it's always had green in it since I owned it, did these come with Dexcool from the factory?

The coolant is looking pretty gross, so I want to do a flush and refill. What fluid should I go to, keep on with the green Prestone? Switch, or switch it back to Dexcool? Or something else? I like G05 in my Chrysler Van and Ford Focus, but I also have Toyota Pink in my Camry and Toyota Red in my Tacoma, so I have lots of different coolants sitting around my garage.

One more question, the new Prestone Fully Compatible coolant is more yellow than green. Is the green stuff even available anymore? If not, then I guess my options are Prestone Yellow as the default generic antifreeze.

Thanks guys!

Ben

Last edited:
Ok, so if I can't find old school green, would the Prestone Yellow / Fully Compatible antifreeze be the same stuff, or do I need to hunt down the old formula Green Antifreeze somewhere.

I have found that conventional/'old school' green is easiest to find at places that cater to farmers. Tractor Supply, Rural King, Farm and Fleet, Mills Fleet Farm.... Farmers will always need it for older equipment.

They came with DexCool but didn’t suffer from the issues cause by early dexcool and lower manifold gaskets or intake gasket issues. Whatever you want to use is fine. While you have it drained replace all the quick connect lines on the heater hoses with regular hose.

Pretty sure the DeathCool didn’t start until 1997-should be factory old school low silicate green. I’ve had good luck with G-05/Premium Gold in those, especially with an aluminum radiator. Brass means green…

In regards to Dexcool, it was reformulated due to the intake gasket issues. If his intake gasket fails from any long life coolant such as Prestone All Vehicles it is because the intake gasket was already shot.

Pretty sure the DeathCool didn’t start until 1997-should be factory old school low silicate green. I’ve had good luck with G-05/Premium Gold in those, especially with an aluminum radiator. Brass means green…
1996 - but IMO GM also did a drop-in change too. The pre-Vortec SBCs use an old-school composite IMG, the ones with the Dex-Sludge issues use a PA66/GF33 with silicone sealing beads.

I’d feel comfortable with AMAM/Prestone if there is no soldered brass, it’s on the old composite/new stainless steel IMGs AND a new GM radiator cap is installed - yes it’s an Indian-made TVS but it’s much more resistant to particulate clogging. You could get away with Motorad who owns Stant now.

I had a 1995 GMC Sonoma 4.3 V6 that came from the factory with Dexcool.

1680054099086.jpg

part # is 1GAL

My 96 chevy 1500 came from the factory with dexcool after i replaced the intake gasket on my truck i flushed all of the system of dexcool and switched it to old school green.
I use the housebrand at rural king it works fine

They came with DexCool but didn’t suffer from the issues cause by early dexcool and lower manifold gaskets or intake gasket issues. Whatever you want to use is fine. While you have it drained replace all the quick connect lines on the heater hoses with regular hose.
Huh? My 98 S-10 started showing slight coolant in the antifreeze…. With its 4.3L v6. So I’d suspect a 95 with a 350 would too.

OP says it’s always had green. So either it was flushed well or the issues never happened. I’d run the silicates green, not the AMAM dexclone green, or else another HOAT.

GM 95 350 engines used DexCool as well. Had a 95 Tahoe with the 5.7 TBI, had a DexCool sticker with the 5 year/150K mile info. Never had any issues with the coolant as it didn't have an intake with gaskets that reacted with it like the 96-02 Vortecs or the 3.1/3.4/3.8 engines. But I also made sure to change out the coolant on a regular schedule as well.

Back