1995 Buick Roadmaster with 58K miles, daily driven

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has the LT1 engine and it appears the passage of time has not been so kind to the car. The rear main seal might be on the way out as there is oily residue in the area but no drips. Oil cooler lines are also leaking but that's a cheap fix.

From what I know this car has done almost nothing but short trips for almost 20 years in Arizona's typical climate and it has been parked infrequently. I daily drive it 10 miles one way in moderate stop and go traffic.

Currently it has the Pennzoil 5W-30 Dexos1 synthetic blend in it with a Bosch Premium filter. I have no brand preferences and budget is generous but I'd like to try Rotella T5 or Motorcraft 10W-30 when the time comes. Maybe a synthetic in the future too when I fix up the seals.

Are there any LT1 owners who could chime in??

I was reading somewhere that the LT engines loved the lighter end 5w/30 oils. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe an expert here can find a low viscosity 30 weight for you. I haven't kept myself up to date on PDSs recently

I would use a high mileage like Quaker State Defy, which is a syn blend and might help out that seal. Try 5W-30 or 10W-30. Maybe 10W-40 in summer...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AndrewD
Mobil 1 5W-30 HM
AC DELCO oil filter

I agree with Mobil 1 High Mileage

I would be fine at the 5W-30 or even 10W-40 in a 20 year old car.

If you are going to get it out on the interstate some I would keep a check on the oil level for sure. That is very low mileage for the age.

It maybe something above dripping to the lowest point. Does the engine use oil between changes? I would carry quart or whatever oil you see fit, a gallon or 2 of coolant and a quart of ATF. Every so often give the car an hour long Italian tune up, to blow out the carbon. When I do it with the 528s I will drive them in 2 or 3 for an hour. They love it. 3500 RPM or higher. They will do 70 at the 5k rev limiter in 2. 3 is triple digits. The last big GM BOFs were butt ugly compared to the Panthers. I'll take a faux wood Roadmaster wagon. please.
laugh.gif
You are not doing the old bomber any favors driving it only 10 miles at a time.

The oil cooler adaptor (between the block & filter) is bad about leaking also, Not all B-body LT1 cars have an oil cooler, Get an non-cooler oil filter adaptor & delete the lines.

I had the best results Maxlife in my Caprice. The LT1 is virtually indestructible say for the water pump and distributor configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back