1989 Chevy K1500- Heater Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm replacing the heater core on my beater pickup this afternoon (previous owner cut the hoses off after it started leaking and capped it off) and I was wondering if there is supposed to be a vacuum valve on the heater hose? My other TBI 350 Chevy was wrecked not long ago, and I can't remember if it had one or not.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, can anyone tell me why when I cut the marker lights/headlights on, that sometimes all the gauges stop working, save the speedometer? Also, the lights for the turnsignals light up, until you cut the turnsignals on when they flash. Likewise, the high beam light comes on when the low beams are running, but if you cut on the high beams the light goes off. It's like everything is backwards. It all works fine as long as the lights are off, and sometimes when you cut the lights on none of it happens...

No heater valve on that truck. Coolant is circulating through the heater whenever the engine is running. The quick connect heater fittings on the engine are restrictors so don't replace those with regular hose fittings unless you add a restrictor in the hoses.

Update- Installed new heater core this afternoon and replaced hoses & did a drain and fill on the antifreeze. Man does this thing have a good heater! The instrument cluster issue still happens from time to time, but yesterday I noticed my steering was abnormally tight at low speed. I checked my PS fluid and it was bone dry. I topped it up then got back on the road, 30 miles later it was stiff again. Upon further inspection, the lines look perfectly dry, but there is an obvious leak coming from the vicinity of the pump. I'm assuming one of the pump seals has gone out?

Luckily parts for these trucks are dirt cheap.I'm currently on a parts replacement agenda for my 93 G20 van. One sensor per month till they're all replaced ,plus one other component, such as installing electric fan in place of the belt driven.Timing chain set. TBI rebuild...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back