1985 Onan B43 engine, which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I'd run straight 30wt in it. That has the least consumption in my 318 with the p218. It likes to drink multi weights.

Straight 30 in a Minnesota winter for splash lubrication? I don't imagine there'll be a lot of splashing going on.

John Deere's chart is correct. Use their 0w-40 if you want a JD product, or a 0w-30/0w-40 from wherever you buy oil. At 25 hour intervals, there's no reason not to.

Even in summer, or should I switch to thicker, such as 10w30? I know, I know, it is still 30/40 weight at temp, but I have decades of "traditional wisdom" working against me!

Either will be fine. I now put Rotella T6 in everything I have so I don't need to buy different oils. I'm also not living in the bitter cold anymore.

Some folks have said that the 0w oils will shear down quickly, which may result in more oil consumption during the summer. At 25hr intervals, I don't see that becoming a big problem.

If you keep the 0w in there for the whole year, just watch the level. If it drops, you might try a 10w-30, 15w-40, or straight grade for the summer.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I'd run straight 30wt in it. That has the least consumption in my 318 with the p218. It likes to drink multi weights.

Straight 30 in a Minnesota winter for splash lubrication? I don't imagine there'll be a lot of splashing going on.

John Deere's chart is correct. Use their 0w-40 if you want a JD product, or a 0w-30/0w-40 from wherever you buy oil. At 25 hour intervals, there's no reason not to.

I guess I missed the winter use part. What he is doing now it fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back