1972 Honda Civic

Ford cars and trucks had cable brakes in 1937-38 and in the winter the cables would freeze in the sleeves and guess what that did. My 1936 5 window coupe had metal rods to each brake. No hydraulics yet at Ford till 1939.

Back in 1988 I rebuilt a CVCC engine from a 73 Honda Civic. The CVCC has a third mini valve. I recall lapping the valve with compound. The ring groves were totally filled with rock hard carbon and I had to chip it out in chunks with a piece of broken ring. It ran like a top afterward with no more smoking. Success!
In 1975 or so Soichiro Honda met wtih GM engineers to discuss licensing his CVCC technology to let GM cars run great on leaded gas without catalytic converters. GM said yeah it works with your toy cars but it won't work with our V8s. So Honda helped themselves to a GM engine and reengineered it with CVCC to prove them wrong, LOL.

In 1975 or so Soichiro Honda met wtih GM engineers to discuss licensing his CVCC technology to let GM cars run great on leaded gas without catalytic converters. GM said yeah it works with your toy cars but it won't work with our V8s. So Honda helped themselves to a GM engine and reengineered it with CVCC to prove them wrong, LOL.
Come to think of it, the one I rebuilt was a 76.

It was reliable for its time, but didn't last too long. At about 90k it suffered some kind of major engine failure.
My parents had an '83, which I learned to drive manual on. It spoiled me since the clutch was so light and the shifts were so precise. Probably one of the easiest manuals I've ever driven. But yeah, by 80-90K miles the engine was toast.

Back in 1988 I rebuilt a CVCC engine from a 73 Honda Civic. The CVCC has a third mini valve. I recall lapping the valve with compound. The ring groves were totally filled with rock hard carbon and I had to chip it out in chunks with a piece of broken ring. It ran like a top afterward with no more smoking. Success!
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the CVCC engine came out in 1975. I test drove, but did not buy one because of the tiny size and lack of stability of the car. However, I was impressed that Honda could meet emission standards without a catalytic converter.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the CVCC engine came out in 1975. I test drove, but did not buy one because of the tiny size and lack of stability of the car. However, I was impressed that Honda could meet emission standards without a catalytic converter.
Yes, I corrected things in post #25. Ours was a 76, not 73. Thanks.

The CVCC was a neat innovation, described on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVCC

I lived in a very hilly town with short, slow, curvy streets. A friends mom had a late 70s civic cvcc. Manual choke! That thing was hoot on those roads.

Rumor? Truth? Seems like Honda also achieved a carbuerator which was good for upwards to something like 70 mpg back in the 80s. While it was silly high mpg, it was pretty heavy in pollutants. Now, considering the mpg, the overall pollution was still quite low, but because the pollution was high per volume unit, it was disallowed.

Todays civic? Yes I’d have one. Manual trans only though.

Step mom had a brown ‘78 CVCC 5-speed.
I thought it was a really neat car; but rust had eaten through the bottom of it; there was barely any floor left!

Rumor? Truth? Seems like Honda also achieved a carbuerator which was good for upwards to something like 70 mpg back in the 80s.
I believe it. I personally calculated 63 MPG in our '83.... This was in the days of the 55 MPH speed limit and there was NO WAY Dad was going to exceed that, not with mom watching him like a hawk. There would be no speeding in her car!

Stopped into Honda of Princeton today. They had a 1972 Civic. I think the guy paid $80k for it. 2 cylinder engine. Manual. Very small car, especially to an American.

MSRP in 1972: $1,543.00.
View attachment 214739
View attachment 214740
Honda in Olathe Kansas has a car just like this except for it's that dirty dark green color from that era I can't even get one of my legs into it. The pictures are awesome though! I'm sitting here just taking in all the goodness. I don't know if that wasn't when they were called the cvcc? Although, that was back when people in North America had not expanded out as much as they had like now.

Back