1964 Ford Thunderbird Power Steering fluid question

Hey Folks,

So, the recommended fluid type for these cars is Type F or A transmission fluid. I am entertaining/pretty much decided to convert over to an electric power steering pump. The replacement pump runs a synthetic power steering fluid from the factory, Pentosin - it's CHF202. Would a newer fluid, specifically a synthetic, be bad for my windshield wiper motor or steering box (yes, as weird as it is the wiper motor is run off the power steering)? I know ATF, in general, can be nasty stuff - mix it with acetone and you have one of the best penetrants on the planet lol.

Could I perhaps use just regular generic "power steering fluid," or should i run ATF, or try the synthetic? My only concern with synthetic is that with a car this old it tends to find all the weak spots, lube them, and leak lol.

CHF202 or CHF11S should work fine in all those systems just make sure to flush them first with the new fluid it does not mix with ATF.

CHF11S is synthetic and CHF202 is partially synthetic. These two fluids are interchangeable and can be mixed. The older generation of VAG cars were filled with simpler fluids. ... The good news here is that both CHF11s and CHF202 are completely interchangeable and are the same color (Green)

It seems like every application this is meant for would have residual former PS fluid in the lines and steering box. If Pentosin doesn't mix well they should have big warning labels about this.

Incidentally will you be upgrading your alternator? I got a "gen 3" 130 AMP from a 95 Mustang V6 for my RV and converted it to self-exciting. The bolt pattern (double check please) goes all the way back to when Ford switched to alts in your era.

It seems like every application this is meant for would have residual former PS fluid in the lines and steering box. If Pentosin doesn't mix well they should have big warning labels about this.

Incidentally will you be upgrading your alternator? I got a "gen 3" 130 AMP from a 95 Mustang V6 for my RV and converted it to self-exciting. The bolt pattern (double check please) goes all the way back to when Ford switched to alts in your era.

So you think I should rock the Pentonsin in the system or the ATF? I thought about doing a mix honestly, but predominantly going with the TYPE F, I am just afraid the synthetic will find the weak point in my box or wiper motor and start to leak. Also worried the type F would eat up the electric pump.

I did the gen 3 or 3g update last year, rocking a 94 mustang alternator and loving it.

I would not put a strange fluid in that old system it's likely that the seals are not compatible with the new fluid and would be very costly to fix.

What is the reason for wanting to swap to an electric pump? Sounds like a answer looking for a problem to me

I would not put a strange fluid in that old system it's likely that the seals are not compatible with the new fluid and would be very costly to fix.

What is the reason for wanting to swap to an electric pump? Sounds like a answer looking for a problem to me

I am doing it because I enjoy to tinker. I will probably just flush out the pump and go with ATF - I am just trying to understand.

What would be most damming to seals - ATF type F or the Synthetic fluid/Pentosin CHF202?

Back