18mm wrench not so popular?

I'll get some hate for this, but I like to treat myself to an HF visit once a month. What can I say.. Its an awesome store! laugh I was looking at their wrench sets and to my surprise, basically ALL the sets did not include an 18mm wrench.. What gives? shrug I guess Sears is my only other option. I wonder how the warranty will work when they go under and some Chinese company purchases the brand??

So the chinese warranty at Harbor Freight is fine, but you're worried about a Craftsman warranty if they were bought by a similar entity? IDK, probably like Ridgid, Kobalt or any other chinese/taiwanese made company with a lifetime warranty. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Ace carries Craftsman now, I'm sure a million others will soon. I'm pretty sure I don't have an 18mm or 5.5mm. Everyone who sees my garage must think I'm a total amateur!

Last edited:
I've wondered about that for ages; every box wrench set I've ever bought didn't have an 18mm wrench, and I find a lot of 18mm bolts on cars! I think it's a conspiracy to sell 18mm wrenches separately. Tool makers, bolt makers, and car manufacturers use it for their retirement funds.

dlundblad

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Do you have an 18mm bolt? The 17 and 19 in my set get lots of work, but I couldn't tell you if I have an 18mm wrench?
I need an 18mm to remove the calipers on my Jeep.

my geartech renches came with a 18 but not 5.5 i like geartech over craftsman ratchet wrenches. i use to be a (brand [censored]) but over the years ive seen cheap name tools in industrial settings and buy whats on sale... i worked at a harley shop and both mechanics had husky tools. beat the [censored] out of them daily with various projects. my uncle did automotive work for a living, had his own business, only used craftsman.

dlundblad

Originally Posted By: bepperb
So the chinese warranty at Harbor Freight is fine, but you're worried about a Craftsman warranty if they were bought by a similar entity? IDK, probably like Ridgid, Kobalt or any other chinese/taiwanese made company with a lifetime warranty. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Ace carries Craftsman now, I'm sure a million others will soon. I'm pretty sure I don't have an 18mm or 5.5mm. Everyone who sees my garage must think I'm a total amateur!
Just curious. The HF warranty has worked fine for me and I know it exists. Can't really say that for something that hasn't happened yet right?

Yeah, I have noticed this too! No 18mm wrenchs or sockets frown I have purchaced my own indivdual wrenches and sockets in the 18mm sizes as I do use them quite often.

I have only seem 18mm a few times. One was helping a friend swap the transmission on a WD21 pathfinder and removing the flex plate cover on my cherokee.

For a brake job?? I live in the rust belt! Ill pass.. Lol. Yea, I was only kidding. I'm in New York - another rust area. I'm a firm believer in using Fluid Film and Never-Seize.

dlundblad

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
For a brake job?? I live in the rust belt! Ill pass.. Lol. Yea, I was only kidding. I'm in New York - another rust area. I'm a firm believer in using Fluid Film and Never-Seize.
I was hoping you were. Especially with a username like yours.. Lol.

18-mm is popular on some things like bumpers and transmission supports. I believe its related to vehicles built in Canada as most Japanese fasteners are 17 or 19 mm... Not a fan of HF but their sockets hold up well for the price.

I have several 18mm bolts on my Chevy (steering components and rear brake caliper brackets, IIRC), so I ended up having to buy a couple of individual combination wrenches to supplement my sets. Only headache is not having 18mm ratcheting wrenches to speed things up. My opinion: go to Sears and buy a USA-made open stock 18mm Craftsman Professional wrench, while you still can. I beat the [censored] out of mine and it is none the worse for wear.

It depends what you're working on, but 16 and 18 mm can be quite rare. A decent number of socket and wrench sets skip those sizes.

My saturns use 18mm on the brake caliper bracket bolts, tie rod end and ball joint castle nuts. I got a cheap "Great Neck" a decade ago that works flawlessly. Use the open end on ball joints while hammering on the box end and haven't bent/ busted/ rounded anything yet. Replacement castle nuts have been 17 or 19mm though. wink I have a 30-something Husky Chinese Xmas-timed wrench set that goes up to and includes 18mm and 3/4", which is a virtual clone of 19mm. Other sets skip 18 and include both 3/4 and 19mm!

I've never used my 18mm sockets and very seldom used a 15mm socket. As of late I don't use my Whitworth sockets and wrenches any more.