17 hp Intek oil leak

Question for the more seasoned / experienced guys. Is an oil leak from the head gasket common in the 17 hp Intek motor? It's in a JD and I have already changed the valve cover gasket, breather hoses are intact, no mouse holes.
Getting oil dripping down on the lower cooling air tin so I'm suspecting oil coming out where the push rods go through the head. It's got the pulse fuel pump setup so I know it will have a little more crankcase pressure than a fully vented motor.
Really don't want to pull the head but just asking is it common or have I been ''blessed''. TIA

I haven't had any issue with the two of mine, but I have heard about a lot of head gasket failures in these.

Head gasket failures are common on these engines unfortunately. Usually they fail in between the cylinder and the push rod area, causing lots of smoke and oil burning, but I have seen them fail outside the push rod area as well causing a leak like you describe. Luckily pulling the head is very easy on these engines. Might as well check the valve clearance while you are there.

Head gasket failures are common on these engines unfortunately. Usually they fail in between the cylinder and the push rod area, causing lots of smoke and oil burning, but I have seen them fail outside the push rod area as well causing a leak like you describe. Luckily pulling the head is very easy on these engines. Might as well check the valve clearance while you are there.

Came here to say this...

Thanks for the insight. It's not burning oil just leaking and it drips/blows down onto the frame right above the under-frame muffler.
Already did the valves when I changed the valve cover gasket, they were only loose by .001 .
Was a free machine a few years ago, just needed a deck rebuild and tires, so history is unknown.
I guess I need to do the head gasket before it blows all the way. Gotta keep that freebie running, my '96 14.5hp Craftsman at my camp is still running strong due to proper maintenance.
Thanks for all the feedback.

Thanks for the insight. It's not burning oil just leaking and it drips/blows down onto the frame right above the under-frame muffler.
Already did the valves when I changed the valve cover gasket, they were only loose by .001 .
Was a free machine a few years ago, just needed a deck rebuild and tires, so history is unknown.
I guess I need to do the head gasket before it blows all the way. Gotta keep that freebie running, my '96 14.5hp Craftsman at my camp is still running strong due to proper maintenance.
Thanks for all the feedback.
I'll add that the best head gaskets I've found are directly from Briggs. It's a crappy engine design, so no gasket will really "fix" the problem, but the Briggs gaskets seem to last the longest.

I'll add that the best head gaskets I've found are directly from Briggs. It's a crappy engine design, so no gasket will really "fix" the problem, but the Briggs gaskets seem to last the longest.
Thanks, I've got a BS one on the way. I also will not trust a cheap head gasket made of Chinesium. I can see why they fail, no bolt or clamping force on the big gap where the push rods go through.

Back