'17 Honda Civic 1.5T 6MT, 70,554mi, 5w30 PP 3,317mi UOA

Below is the latest UOA on my Civic. I've been running 5w30 PP for a couple of years now, usually changing at 3-3.5k mi intervals. Two tanks prior to the sample collection/oil change were Premium gas and 200mi drive. Note, all 4 prior test results was Amsoil SS 5w30.
1690552869420.jpg

Amsoil looks like it had more TBN reserve at twice the mileage, otherwise they're pretty similar across the board.

Just to be clear you did not use premium fuel for the whole Oil drain but just 2 tank fulls? This was a shorter run so it's kind of hard to tell but it appears the Amsoil had less iron wear than this PP but this is just based on this 1 last sample so not really helpful.
Thanks for sharing

Just to be clear you did not use premium fuel for the whole Oil drain but just 2 tank fulls? This was a shorter run so it's kind of hard to tell but it appears the Amsoil had less iron wear than this PP but this is just based on this 1 last sample so not really helpful.
Thanks for sharing
1. 1.3175ppm/1,000 miles
2. 0.9331ppm/1,000 miles
3. 1.1374ppm/1,000 miles
4. 0.8546ppm/1,000 miles
5. 1.5074ppm/1,000 miles

I don't really see any sort of pattern, I'd say it's all within the noise threshold for the test.

Thanks for sharing
That is correct, just last two tanks prior to oil change and sample collection. And yes, ppm per 1k miles based on these results is less with Amsoil. But, considering I still have a few jugs of PP5w30 at 3$ per jug left, I'll stick with 3-4k interval. I was more interested to see the residual TBN for the intervals I was running, and it looks like 4k change interval is about right with this oil. Appreciate your feedback

1. 1.3175ppm/1,000 miles
2. 0.9331ppm/1,000 miles
3. 1.1374ppm/1,000 miles
4. 0.8546ppm/1,000 miles
5. 1.5074ppm/1,000 miles

I don't really see any sort of pattern, I'd say it's all within the noise threshold for the test.
You are correct! I didn't do the math this time & guesstimated. (I got lazy)

Last edited:
That is correct, just last two tanks prior to oil change and sample collection. And yes, ppm per 1k miles based on these results is less with Amsoil. But, considering I still have a few jugs of PP5w30 at 3$ per jug left, I'll stick with 3-4k interval. I was more interested to see the residual TBN for the intervals I was running, and it looks like 4k change interval is about right with this oil. Appreciate your feedback
According to what @OVERKILL posted on the wear rates it appears that your 3, 5, & 7th Samples had higher iron wear. Was that oil ran over the winter times vs 4 & 6th sample ran in warmer months?

Last edited:
According to what @OVERKILL posted on the wear rates it appears that your 3, 5, & 7th Samples had higher iron wear. Was that oil ran over the winter times vs 4 & 6th sample ran in warmer months?
Well, I’m in south Texas, so there’s really no winter here. Not sure if there’s any correlation with ambient temperatures

Sample #7 (PP) oxidation being that low (8) compared with other samples, means lack of ester or does it have any other implications?

I recall a VOA of M1 FS 0W-40 with Oxidation of 7.

Sample #7 (PP) oxidation being that low (8) compared with other samples, means lack of ester or does it have any other implications?

I recall a VOA of M1 FS 0W-40 with Oxidation of 7.
I think it's just different ester content between amsoil and pennzoil. all but the last OCI was amsoil

Below is the latest UOA on my Civic. I've been running 5w30 PP for a couple of years now, usually changing at 3-3.5k mi intervals. Two tanks prior to the sample collection/oil change were Premium gas and 200mi drive. Note, all 4 prior test results was Amsoil SS 5w30.
View attachment 169218
SOS all runs. Looks good. Pay your money and take your choice.

I would assume it means no ester content at all in the Pennzoil.
At all? A recent Speediagnostix video was comparing various Pennzoils and one of their comments was that the HM version had a slightly higher Oxidation value that they attributed to more esters added as seal conditioners. The difference was small: oxidation values of 4 vs 7. I got the impression (and supported by looking at VOAs that showed oxidation) that even a small bump in oxidation indicated additional esters.

At all? A recent Speediagnostix video was comparing various Pennzoils and one of their comments was that the HM version had a slightly higher Oxidation value that they attributed to more esters added as seal conditioners. The difference was small: oxidation values of 4 vs 7. I got the impression (and supported by looking at VOAs that showed oxidation) that even a small bump in oxidation indicated additional esters.
You could check the Russian Oil Club VOA's, but I think you'll find that low oxidation figures like those are the result of there being no ester in the product at all. They'll be using something else to improve solvency (if required) like AN's or a lower group base.

This is an SN VOA for PUP 5W-30:
1690742844513.png

No "rake" near the end (thanks to former member Rod Knock for bringing that to my attention) to show AN's, and no large spike between the 2000 and 1500 mark to show ester content like M1 FS 0W-40:
1690742908125.png

Redine 5W-30:
1690742944015.png

AMSOIL SS 0W-20:
1690742933132.png

You could check the Russian Oil Club VOA's, but I think you'll find that low oxidation figures like those are the result of there being no ester in the product at all. They'll be using something else to improve solvency (if required) like AN's or a lower group base.

This is an SN VOA for PUP 5W-30:
View attachment 169701
No "rake" near the end (thanks to former member Rod Knock for bringing that to my attention) to show AN's, and no large spike between the 2000 and 1500 mark to show ester content like M1 FS 0W-40:
View attachment 169702
Redine 5W-30:
View attachment 169704
AMSOIL SS 0W-20:
View attachment 169703
Is there a way that you could keep it very high level and simple, and yet break down for us what we are looking at on these graphs?
I feel like I am looking at an oscilloscope screen for a bad coil pack. :cool:

Is there a way that you could keep it very high level and simple, and yet break down for us what we are looking at on these graphs?
I feel like I am looking at an oscilloscope screen for a bad coil pack. :cool:
Different chemical compounds produce different mass "signatures" through Mass Spectrometry. Some details on the process here:

The number is the wave number, or spacial frequency.

You can see that, from a cursory glance, they all pretty much look the same. However, both esters and AN's have their own unique signatures and this stands out when we look a bit closer. For esters, there's a spike ~1745cm-1, which we can see in 3 of the 4 graphs. For AN's, (again, thanks to Rod Knock for showing me this) there's a "rake" near the ~722cm-1 area:
Mobil 1 X1 5W-30 VOA ANs.jpeg

With an HPL oil, that has both AN's and esters, we'd see both the rake and the spike.

Totally as an aside, but the lack of both AN's and esters in the SOPUS products may point to them believing there's sufficient solvency in the bases themselves that they don't need help. This may also explain why folks have had additive fallout with their oils that hasn't been observed with others IMHO.

I love it when you talk nerdy to me 🤣
I’d like to see OP get 3 more runs on PP with UOAs, then we could compare averages of averages, and it would likely show OPs engine runs statistically similar with either oil. I know that to make statistical sticklers like dnewton3 (and the normal statistical requirements) we’d need 30 samples of each oil, but that would be a several year project with someone who drives 12k/yr with 3k OCIs.

Back