16 year old garage door opener

Another one bites the dust! Plastic gear broke right half in 2. Sticker said it was made July 2004... replaced it with a Genie that has a battery backup from Lowe’s.
868CDE0E-D8ED-4323-BD43-DF7B20E0728C.jpeg

Mine are probably from the 70s. Remotes stopped working and are too old to be replaced.

And that’s just fine with me...

Could have probably fixed it and gave it away or put it back up, but I don’t like my vehicles parked outside and wanted it fixed now, and I already threw away the other unit. The battery backup on the new unit is nice in case my wife needs out if the power is out.

Reactions: JC1
Get a Sommer Direct Drive from the Manufacturer, it has lifetime warranty, Made in Germany, ultra quite, assemble in living room and the attach it on. I love it and last week got it for SIL, no sales tax for Texas, free shipping. $248 with exterior keypad.

Just make sure your door is in adjustment so it doesnt put undue strain on the new opener. I keep a spare gear on hand. People knock them because they are plastic, but its like a "fuse". Designed to be the weakest link, cheap and easily replaceable. Of course 16 years could cause fatigue aside from any undue strain on gear.

Could have probably fixed it and gave it away or put it back up, but I don’t like my vehicles parked outside and wanted it fixed now, and I already threw away the other unit. The battery backup on the new unit is nice in case my wife needs out if the power is out.
If the power is out pull the red handle to release door from motor.
the door should lift easily with one hand as long as your springs are sized correctly

If the power is out pull the red handle to release door from motor.
the door should lift easily with one hand as long as your springs are sized correctly
I know, easier for my wife to just click the button vs having to try and reach it over the van or truck.

Just make sure your door is in adjustment so it doesnt put undue strain on the new opener. I keep a spare gear on hand. People knock them because they are plastic, but its like a "fuse". Designed to be the weakest link, cheap and easily replaceable. Of course 16 years could cause fatigue aside from any undue strain on gear.
I did notice it was getting rougher when opening and closing, it would jerk then move normally. The new one starts out slow for about a second then goes full speed, very smooth.

Back