150 miles in a 2021 Ford Escape dealer loaner.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Took the pickup in for a recall service and my loaner was a brand new 2021 Escape SEL 1.5 3-cylinder Eco-Boost. MSRP was $35005. First off the vehicle averaged over 30 MPG for the day. Driving included high speed interstate, mall parking lot slogging and everything in between.

The only drivability issue and it would be a deal breaker for me is the transmission is very eager to upshift. During normal driving if you accelerate softly due to circumstances or by choice, when the transmission shifts to 3rd at 12-14 mph the whole vehicle shudders and it is not a quality sensation. Then when you are able to give it a few beans, the downshift back to second is abrupt.

The interior was leather of good quality. and general fit and finish of the front seating area was good. This is a dark vehicle with a black exterior and black leather interior. We had to run the A/C on a 55f day because the interior was so warm due to the dark color. Wind noise was well controlled. The rear seating is generous, although the rear seats occupants will definitely feel second class.

I could never own this vehicle. All the controls and switches are small and the labeling hard to read. Took five minutes to figure how to adjust the fan speed. The fan speed switches are a rotary thumb control, that look like air duct shut off slides. Very odd. The adaptive cruise control is not a safety feature, its operation is very helter skelter. The suspension is very soft and has a nice ride. Cornering is poor, LOTS of body lean to the point the cloverleafs on interstates and round-a-bout's are scary. My pickup steers and handles much better.

In summary I would call this a 80K mile vehicle. After that this CUV could get real expensive. In general you do not get any impression that it is a high quality long lasting vehicle. This is the most Nannyfied vehicle I have ever driven and I don't like it. YMMV

An Escape is not a small vehicle and it is not what most would consider aerodynamic. I cant believe that they would equip it with a 3 cyl 1.5 l engine, this seems more appropriate for a Fiesta size and actually my Fiesta has a 1.6 and manual tranny and its marginal. I know its Ecoboost which would be reason enough for me to pass it by.

We had a 2008, hybrid. Imo its body style was the best of the escape line. It was truly a good vehicle. Im not a fan of the newer ones.

The sales on the new ones are abysmal. It was designed as a "bridge vehicle" for both a small sedan buyer and a small CUV buyer. And they missed on both counts.

Not to mention they are ugly.

We had a 2008, hybrid. Imo its body style was the best of the escape line. It was truly a good vehicle. Im not a fan of the newer ones.
This would have been better

BA6FC897-D878-4230-A91F-C1EE7E008775.jpg

I like my 2021 just fine. I did get the 2.0L though. That said, it’s just a car to me. Yes, there are a lot of small buttons and electronics features and nannies like any most other modern vehicles.

while msrp >=< $$$ paid I'd say 30k is alot to drop on an escape. Esp. when bronco sport is here.
They really aren't that much different. I looked at the Bronco Sport at the dealer today and they are small.

^^^^^^^^
Was also able to look at a Bronco Sport at the dealer, it is smaller appearing from the first glance. The rear seats are kid sized. Though it was nicely appointed. Ford is making a huge mistake IMO by only putting the I-4 Eco Boost in the TOTL Badlands trim.

Also sat in a Mach-E. Very nice interior and of course everything has to be "Funky Eclectic" for the youngsters. The Huge Tablet would be very annoying if it was in my DD,

Back