13 Hyundai Sonata 24 vs 12 Jetta 2.0 TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Hallj49803
Originally Posted by Huie83
I purchased a Dieselgate VW ( 2013 Golf TDi) about 18 months ago. 70K on it when I got it. I've put on 20K with only one issue. Threw a Oxygen sensor code right after I got it, covered under warranty. Still love it after the 18 months and will keep it for a long time. It feels well built and the turbo diesel is a blast to drive.

If it's certified VW It'll have a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. The emissions warranty which covers HPFP, turbo, cat, EGR etc is:

-10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first from
the vehicle's original in-service date; OR
-4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
date and mileage of the emissions modification.

One note, make sure your commute can support a TDi. They take a good 15 miles to fully warm up and they will go into a regen cycle every 3-800 miles which requires you to complete the burn off cycle. They usually last at least 15 minutes. If they don't finish you'll throw codes.

I am currently driving about 15 miles or so to work and 15 miles or so back. Most of it is back roads s about 35-40 minute trips.

Burn off cycle is rarely that long. What is most important is that you warm up fully engine. DPF regeneration will not activate unless coolant temperature is above 60c.
Make sure you use really good diesel. I found out that regeneration cycle on my BMW X5 35d depended a lot on where I get diesel. Phillips66 or Conoco would get me 245-300 miles between regenerations, Shell could do 500 miles.
Also, since Pittsburgh can get cold, in the beginning always set up ventilation on cold and do not turn it on or turn it on while HVAC on cold. That will speed up warm up. However, I would personally look for some type of block heater or electric heater that activates when you turn on heat on HVAC which warms up oncoming air.

Just going off the experience with my TDI, your experience may vary. My burn off cycles when I am not on the highway are 12-15 minutes easy. They'll fire off right when I leave for work sometimes and have not finished when I arrive, my commute is 15 miles and ~25-30 minutes if I take the side roads, speeds between 30-55MPH. I have to sit in the parking lot some days for around 5 minutes and let it finish. I can tell because when I pull in my cooling fans are on full tilt.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Hallj49803
I purchased a Dieselgate VW ( 2013 Golf TDi) about 18 months ago. 70K on it when I got it. I've put on 20K with only one issue. Threw a Oxygen sensor code right after I got it, covered under warranty. Still love it after the 18 months and will keep it for a long time. It feels well built and the turbo diesel is a blast to drive.

If it's certified VW It'll have a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. The emissions warranty which covers HPFP, turbo, cat, EGR etc is:

-10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first from
the vehicle's original in-service date; OR
-4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
date and mileage of the emissions modification.

One note, make sure your commute can support a TDi. They take a good 15 miles to fully warm up and they will go into a regen cycle every 3-800 miles which requires you to complete the burn off cycle. They usually last at least 15 minutes. If they don't finish you'll throw codes.

I am currently driving about 15 miles or so to work and 15 miles or so back. Most of it is back roads s about 35-40 minute trips.

Burn off cycle is rarely that long. What is most important is that you warm up fully engine. DPF regeneration will not activate unless coolant temperature is above 60c.
Make sure you use really good diesel. I found out that regeneration cycle on my BMW X5 35d depended a lot on where I get diesel. Phillips66 or Conoco would get me 245-300 miles between regenerations, Shell could do 500 miles.
Also, since Pittsburgh can get cold, in the beginning always set up ventilation on cold and do not turn it on or turn it on while HVAC on cold. That will speed up warm up. However, I would personally look for some type of block heater or electric heater that activates when you turn on heat on HVAC which warms up oncoming air.

Just going off the experience with my TDI, your experience may vary. My burn off cycles when I am not on the highway are 12-15 minutes easy. They'll fire off right when I leave for work sometimes and have not finished when I arrive, my commute is 15 miles and ~25-30 minutes if I take the side roads, speeds between 30-55MPH. I have to sit in the parking lot some days for around 5 minutes and let it finish. I can tell because when I pull in my cooling fans are on full tilt.

DPF regen would rarely run in any vehicle 15min. Reason is extreme temperature. Some might do it depending on driving cycle of vehicle, if regenerations are completed or not. Healthy DPF with good diesel would need several minutes to finish it.
Sitting in parking lot for vehicle to finish DPF regen will do more damage than good, and it will extend regen time. DPF regen will continue if you interrupt it, and ALL DPF's systems are design in mind that owner will interrupt regen. At those temperatures I would rather drive or turn off engine, but definiately not sitting and letting fans trying to keep engine cool.
I had several personal VW's tdi's with DPF. I had business in Europe with more than 20 commercial VW's with DPF and this 2.0tdi engine or 1.6tdi engine. I can only suspect how many times my drivers interrupted DPF regen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back