'13 Ford Ecoboost 3.5L twin turbo 5w30 UOA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
No, he means an oil on the thicker end of the SAE 30. An example of this is Castrol EDGE SPT 0W30 "European Formula". KV@100C of 11.8cSt. HTHS of 3.5cP
The bad thing about it is its only API SL.
But the Castrol 0W40 is API SN. Just barely a SAE 40 with a KV@100C of 12.8cSt.
Mobil 1 0W40 is API SN too. KV@100C of 13.8cSt. HTHS of 3.8cP. This would be my top choice in this engine.

Awesome, thanks for the info! What is "KV", "cSt", "HTHS" and "cP"?

KV is Kinematic viscosity
cSt is centistokes, a measurement of viscosity. Water has a KV@20C of about 1cSt.
HTHS is High temperature, High shear. Its a measurement of the viscosity under high heat (150C) and high shear, like would be encountered in bearings.
cP is centipoise, also a viscosity measurement.

So the table that specifies what viscosty grade a oil is called the SAE J300. According to that, a SAE 30 has a viscosity between 9.3 and Most oils are "Energy Conserving" This means that they are blended for fuel savings so they end up around 10cSt and 2.9 cp HTHS.
Going back to Castrol 0W30, it meets a spec "ACEA A3". That means it has to have a minimum HTHS of 3.5cP. It is not "Energy Conserving" as this higher HTHS is not conductive to fuel saving.

Last edited:
Until or if you can get the fuel dilution issue sorted I would highly recommend short oil change intervals (under 5000 miles).

Originally Posted By: Gilitar
Until or if you can get the fuel dilution issue sorted I would highly recommend short oil change intervals (under 5000 miles).

Sorting the fuel dilution issue might not be that easy with a DI engine. It is very often the nature of the beast. Shorter OCI's are probably a good idea though.
thumbsup2.gif

So I just got my truck back from Ford after they performed the "fuel in oil tsb". I'm curious to find out how the update to the PCV system and the computer affects the fuel % in my oil as well as mileage and power. The tech working on the truck said the computer was reprogrammed to use less fuel during cold startup. They also changed the oil and filter and I recorded the dipstick level after it had sat at least 1 night. The dipstick didn't smell of fuel when I checked either. I will keep sending oil analysis in every 5000km to see if much has changed.

They also installed an updated block heater for colder weather and suggest I use it at -15C

I'm also wondering if I don't see any significant wear levels/metals in the next oil analyis should I really be that concerned? I'm mostly worried about the effect of the diluted oil on my timing chain...

Last edited:
^^^While your concern as a BITOG oil freak is appreciated and understood it should be noted that fuel dilution is rarely linked to engine issues despite UOA's...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^While your concern as a BITOG oil freak is appreciated and understood it should be noted that fuel dilution is rarely linked to engine issues despite UOA's...

Do you have any info. or references to back this up? As well as the timing chain, I am concerned about the potential loss of significant power and torque as the engine ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back