13 chevy equinox rust forming bottom door seam

that's easy.. Eastwood.com's platinum rust treatment, it will seep into the rust and stop it. Since it's silver, you will have to paint over it. There are many rust converters out there, but for me Eastwood's products are the best. With restoring the old 96 Civic I've run into lots of rust I had to stop. Sorry to hear that a 13 is already rusting! But no worries, there are products that stop it.

All you have to do is sand it down a little, then leaving some rust to adhere to, apply the rust treatment, then paint over it.

Here's a link

In salty enviros like I have here, common to see 2015 Equinoxes with that rust starting. Some of the worse paint adherence I've seen with that model..
Front quarter panels just behind the wheels and rear quarter panels, ahead of the wheels are usually rust prone areas.

Ford Escapes, anywhere behind the rear doors, just terrible paint/or metal or both.

Anything 2015 and older.

Door skin is folded over the door structure. At that seam rust is starting to appear and the paint is bubbling. Any type of spray to help slow it down.
You must stop it at the source, sanding coating painting and all that is fine but it is not getting to thee root of the problem. Water is going down the widow and even though there are drain holes in the bottom of the door (make sure they are open) water still collects in the seam.
Either remove the door panel to gain access or use a drain hole and a want or drill a hole to use a wand and plug it with a body plug so you can apply an interior panel rust protective. The best in the business is this one.

Expensive yeas but this is enough to treat all the doors, inside the rear quarters and rocker panels and sub frame structures. It will save the car and a fortune in rust repairs. Dont go cheap with Fluid Film and similar short lived products, there is little value there IMO

I tried stopping it on the lower seam of my 92 Cavalier when I first bought it in 2006 and the rust first stated and even though I sanded it out and put primer and paint on it, it all came back and is now pretty bad.

My 98 Chevy truck that I bought new has rust in this seam on the passenger door. I have always cleaned along here every time I washed it and it still rusted. My 98 chevy 1 ton that I bought used in 2007 has the door seam rust too.

Back in 93 I bought a new S-10 and the door seam on the driver's door started rusting after a couple of years and the dealer fixed it and it was starting to come back when I traded it off in 98.

Door seam rust is hard to fix and prevent from coming back sometimes.

I would do what was recommended above with the Eastwood product, but also putting the straw of a Fluid Film can, or equivalent up the drain hole and spraying in the door will help greatly slow it down. It’ll creep into the fold from the inside.

It’ll buy some time for sure.

I've used POR-15 and rust bullet in the past on surface rust. They work OK. I'd try that Eastman product as suggested. Then and oil/wax rust inhibitor on the inside of the door. Like Trav said, Noxudol is the best. I use fluid film and/or woolwax and re-spray periodically. There's all kinds of these types of products.

Sorry you can't fix stupid. That is the factory lack of using good paints, and proper treatments during manufacture. Us consumers spend thousands for pure junk paint, paint that will never be used on a jet airliner, nor a Navy ship, even bridges get better paint. Our stuff is supposed to bio degrade, its pretty much been that way since the beginning of automobiles. Just too bad the prices don't match the quality.

Sorry you can't fix stupid. That is the factory lack of using good paints, and proper treatments during manufacture. Us consumers spend thousands for pure junk paint, paint that will never be used on a jet airliner, nor a Navy ship, even bridges get better paint. Our stuff is supposed to bio degrade, its pretty much been that way since the beginning of automobiles. Just too bad the prices don't match the quality.
The start was water based paint to meet EPA factory emissions standards in the late '80s, early '90s.
Yes, the suck is built in. Not added on.

Door skin is folded over the door structure. At that seam rust is starting to appear and the paint is bubbling. Any type of spray to help slow it down.
Fitter30. Before you do anything, check with a GM dealer. There was a recall on the 2010 to 2013 Equinox and GMC Terrain
for that problem. My friend has a 2013 Equinox and it got fixed. They had to spread apart the seams and cleaned all the area
and resealed the door seams. I used to have a 2014 Terrain and it was fixed by then.

The seam is a very common rust spot on GM vehicles. I don’t see it on every GM car but I see it more than I should.

I repaired one on a Malibu by sanding/grinding down the seam then filling the gap with body seam filler - like they should’ve from the factory. Granted the one I did wasn’t too rotten, but still had plenty of bubbling on the surface. 2 years and still holding up good.

Back