13,000-mile results are in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by 3 Mad Ponchos:
It's not really what I expected to see, but the oil is carrying on nicely. Replacing the filter seemed to do more for particle counts than for insolubles. The filter change "bought" about 5,000 miles of life -- compare to the 8k sample. No wonder Amsoil wants filter changes with their regimen.

http://oilstudy.spacebears.com

Also note the new VOA for Mobil 1, courtesy of Blackstone.

Cheers, 3MP

mad: read ur page with interest......#3 is the thrust bearing aint it? if you ever tear it apart, check that sucker out - I bet you find the missing copper.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Buster,

I think you have to keep some things in perspective regarding this test ....You started with a 6 qt sump and have since added 5 quarts of makeup oil. So I'm not surprised at all the Mobil 1 has lasted for 13,000+ miles. I think a petroleum oil like Schaeffers would easily last 10k+ miles under these conditions and I believe that Bob would agree?

In retrospect, it would have been better to sample every 3k miles with a suction device, so that you weren't adding so much fresh oil. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a very worthwhile and interesting test, but I probably would have configured it a bit differently to make it more demanding ....

TooSlick

sounds like a contributor to my test I proposed!

quote:

since added 5 quarts of makeup oil. So I'm not surprised at all the Mobil 1 has lasted for 13,000+ miles. I think a petroleum oil like Schaeffers would easily last 10k+ miles under these conditions and I believe that Bob would agree?

This is the only problem with the test as I see it. There were just too many samples drawn. I know it's hindsight now, but every 2-3k would have been better. Too much oil was taken out and replaced.
frown.gif
I do think Mobil 1 is capable of this length of drain, but I don't think this test is paints an accurate picture.

QD, yep, #3 is the thrust bearing... I agree, that's my prime suspect for the copper.

Guys, keep in mind the original purpose of the test was to compare different oils. So as long as we use the same test regimen across all oils, we will still see some success with the original intent.

I still think the top-up oil, up until changing the filter, was fairly reasonable.

Cheers, 3MP

Well, the same amount of oil should be used with all oils then other then the TRUE 1.5qts of make up oil. So 3MP has a point bc each sample is 4oz. What we can learn from this I'm still not sure of.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back