12ga semiauto shotgun?

So, you’re a lefty? It appears set up that way, how does the shell ejection work with lefty shooting?

Self defense is a serious topic. Me personally, I buy quality and there are two options that come to mind for self defense- Beretta 1301 and Benelli M2. Both about $1000-$1200.

What’s your life worth?

The Benelli M2 is the most used 3 gun competition shotgun on the planet with hundreds of millions of dead nuts reliable rounds down range. A very robust and reliable shotgun.

Self defense is a serious topic. Me personally, I buy quality and there are two options that come to mind for self defense- Beretta 1301 and Benelli M2. Both about $1000-$1200.

What’s your life worth?

The Benelli M2 is the most used 3 gun competition shotgun on the planet with hundreds of millions of dead nuts reliable rounds down range. A very robust and reliable shotgun.
Benelli M4 for me. Many hundreds of all types of rounds through mine without missing a beat.

Reactions: Ws6
Yes. It was an honest question, I don’t own any shotguns, though I’ve shot a couple, but it seems to me that the shell holder on the left side would be set up for a lefty.

Is that not the case?

looking for 12ga semiauto shotgun recommendations across a range of price/quality calculations. general purpose use: protection, informal clays, maybe hunting eventually but not yet... want: barrel 18.5-24” long; no pistol grip; all 50 state- and canada-legal; utterly reliable. tried a benelli, excellent but pricey...pay once cry once? sorry if my query is imprecise, my only shotguns are 20ga and 410 singles that don’t get out much. thanks!
If I were to buy one gun to serve all those purposes, particularly defense, then yes, price would be the least of my concerns. I would get the very best.

Yes. It was an honest question, I don’t own any shotguns, though I’ve shot a couple, but it seems to me that the shell holder on the left side would be set up for a lefty.

Is that not the case?
The weapon is set up for a right-handed shooter, but I train support side with it, as well. The ejection pattern is a non-issue. Here, this will explain it for you:

Also, the weapon is set up for work under NODS no/low light, as well.

1657894316587.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies! as queried, indeed i don’t want anything tactical. i’m not anti-tactical per se but, if i’m maybe spending $1000+ on a one-and-done 12ga semiauto shotgun to fill a wide variety of roles, i prefer one that can go unnoticed in any state or province.

i have shot a benelli (m4?) and its recoil mitigation was excellent, which is important to me. is this the same with other benellis, e.g. the ultralight? the beretta 1301? the turkish clones?

i prefer a wooden stock but i don’t know why other than it looks better to me. it’s hard to find a wooden stock in a shorter barrel, 24” is almost too long, i think. what don’t i know here?

i greatly appreciate everyone’s informed advice, especially when it involves a $1000+ one-off firearms purchase.

thanks for all the replies! as queried, indeed i don’t want anything tactical. i’m not anti-tactical per se but, if i’m maybe spending $1000+ on a one-and-done 12ga semiauto shotgun to fill a wide variety of roles, i prefer one that can go unnoticed in any state or province.

i have shot a benelli (m4?) and its recoil mitigation was excellent, which is important to me. is this the same with other benellis, e.g. the ultralight? the beretta 1301? the turkish clones?

i prefer a wooden stock but i don’t know why other than it looks better to me. it’s hard to find a wooden stock in a shorter barrel, 24” is almost too long, i think. what don’t i know here?

i greatly appreciate everyone’s informed advice, especially when it involves a $1000+ one-off firearms purchase.
It sounds like you like tactical shotguns and just can't come to grips with it. So maybe what you mean, is that you want a tactical shotgun that doesn't LOOK like one. Nothing is going to mitigate recoil like an M4, but the 1301 comes close. The M1 and M2 do not, but the comfortech stock does help.

The wooden stock thing is annoying to try and match you up with in a sub-24" barrel.

Couple this with the fact that a weapon needs a light at a minimum, and it makes it even harder.

What are you willing to compromise on? Function, appearance, or cost? One or two of those is going to have to give way.

I have a VEPR which apparently is a converted AK-47. Got it from a friend who bought it brand new and kept it in his gun safe. Fired a magazine's worth then kept it in storage. He sold it to me for $800 when he was moving

What’s your life worth?
Not $1000.00 !

I love my old 100 year old Ranger 12GA. With manual hammers. Dead reliable and safe (relatively safe) to keep loaded.
If I need more I guess my time is up...lol.

Might want to look at the Stoeger brand. I know Rural King has them if they are in your area or you can order one and have it sent to a local dealer for a small fee. They are based on the Benelli action very reliable.

looks like the stoger m3000 is a non-pistol grip semi auto available in 28" 26" and 18.5"

I have an 1100 that has to be over 40 years old now. It is in perfect condition and operates flawlessly. It is one of my favorites.
I've got one about that old too, bought it new. It's a 12-ga, 3" magnum. The stocks back in those days were nice walnut with a thick clear-coat. Used it primarily for pheasant hunting.

Back