12 point vs 6 point sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bight a set of 3/4 inch drive sockets with ratchet and breaker bar. Sockets include SAE and Metric sizes. I notice they are 12 point sockets. I have always used the 6 point. What are the downside to the 12 point? Just wondering if I should return them or see if I can get 6 point?

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Higher likelyhood of slipping, less grip. Unless you find 12 point nuts and bolts.

X2- I've pretty much phased all my 12-point sockets to the back of my toolbox where they never get used.

But they're darn handy when you do run across a 12-point bolt, or when you can't reach a square-head drain plug with an open end wrench and have to get a socket on it to get it out!

They put all the force on the corner of the fastener, instead of the flat where it should be.

On a low quality fastener, which many are these days, a 12 pt can really chew them up.

I try to avoid using 12 pts.

As others have stated 12 point sockets put the force where it really shouldn't be. In a 3/4 drive socket I would have looked into buying a 6 point socket set. Anything requiring a 3/4 drive wrench is usually pretty big and requires a lot of torque.

I went to exchange them, and all the 3/4 drive socket sets and the single sockets in the entire store were all 12 point. My sockets range from 22mm to 50MM, and I have not seen many 50mm bolts with 12 point heads. Maybe this is unique to 3/4 Inch drive tools?

Cummins tools does sell the 3/4 drive sets in 6 point.I bought an add on set this way.Some Ford,Chrysler do have 12 point fastners.Ford uses 12 point 12mm headed bolts on the driveshaft on their truck and RWD cars.Chrysler uses them for the wheel bearing retaining bolts on the Jeeps and 1994 and up fullsize Dodge 4x4 trucks.GM does use them too,for the 2.2,3100 rod cap nuts

I was working on my car out at my dads farm yesterday, and when it came time to torque some bolts using the 1/2" drive torque wrench, the 12 point sockets kept slipping. I got fed up and took apart an old busted 3/8" ratchet and welded the square drive to a spare 1/2" drive socket he had laying around so I could use my own 6 point 3/8" sockets on the torque wrench. Worked like a charm.

I hate 12 point sockets.

I have 6 and 12 pt sockets. When I see something that is either big or extremely tight I go right to the 6 point socket. If a fastener is a soft metal, or cheaply made I grab the 6 point.

I have mostly 6 point sockets and would only buy a 12 point if I ran into a 12 point bolt I couldn't get out with a box wrench.

I mostly bust stuff loose with a breaker bar and quickly switch to a ratchet. See little advantage to 12 points, and 6 points are less likely to slip.

Here's what I found out from another poster:

In larger sizes like 3/4 drive it's not likely to make much practical difference unless you're working on mining equipment or farming equipment and even then not likely. All Craftsman 3/4 drive are 12 pt - if cracking was a problem they'd switch to 6 as the sockets are guaranteed forever and they'd have to keep replacing them. Snap-on 3/4 sockets are almost all 12 pt too and again these have a serious warranty behind them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back