'12 Buick Verano 6T40 Transmission Fluid Level Check

2012 Buick Verano 6T40 6-speed AT
Are there any methods to check the transmission fluid level on a '12 Buick Verano with 6T40 6-speed automatic transmission without a scan tool? For example, my '16 Highlander lists the steps in the FSM of how to do this w/o a scan tool.

I realize that I can measure what came out, and I can do that with decent accuracy. However, that assumes the fluid level was correct previously and this is a used vehicle so confidence is low.

Thank you.

Wife's 2013 Equinox requires pulling the plug on the left side of the transmission and filling while the engine is running to get the level right. I filled it until the fluid ran out, but it took almost a quart more with the engine running.

You can see an IR thermometer on the pan. The temp may not match the location of the OEM temp sensor but it will be close. To be safe, aim for the lowest point of the temp range and take multiple readings.

I have doubts about the transmission fluid temperature = transmission pan outside temperature. I did that on the Highlander and it correlated very poorly.

Any other ways or is a scan tool really the only option in this scenario? If so, what is a recommended scan tool?

Is this the time to bite the bullet and buy something like the Autel MaxiDiag Advanced MD808P or can you rent/loan tool from the parts stores?

Is this the time to bite the bullet and buy something like the Autel MaxiDiag Advanced MD808P or can you rent/loan tool from the parts stores?
Most of the parts stores i know will only read codes and won't give out the scanner itsself. If you're serious about doing it yourself then doing 2 or 3 drain and fills will on your own will comp the cost of the scanner and you'll also have access to anything else the scanner can do. I'd bite in your shoes

Back