12 050 01 vs PH3416

I had a couple PH3416 oil filters and when I bought a Cub Cadet XT1 LT42 I debated using one of them on the 5hr oil change. I purchased the 12 050 01 Kohler filter instead, when I recieved the Kohler filtert I noticed it was 3/4 of an inch shorter than the Fram but the interesting thing is that the Kohler weighs 8.3oz to the Frams 7.7oz.. They have stuffed more filtering media into that Kohler filter.

If you use the Fram 3614, it may be too long. I used a Wix 51348 on my XT1, and the steering arm dented it up pretty good before I realized there was a reason the shorter filter was needed!

I used the PH 3614, think it is, and it was a good fit doesn't rub the steering tube any lot of room with it on the engine......I was just curious because of the stories I read about the filtering inside the filter coming apart was all.....you no how it is you see all kinds of videos on people cutting the filters apart and shows this stuff, just wanted to make sure to use the right filter on my engine last thing I'd need is something happen to the mower, have a lot of grass to cut here and as the summer goes on the weather has been getting hotter out side......

I used the PH 3614, think it is, and it was a good fit doesn't rub the steering tube any lot of room with it on the engine......I was just curious because of the stories I read about the filtering inside the filter coming apart was all.....you no how it is you see all kinds of videos on people cutting the filters apart and shows this stuff, just wanted to make sure to use the right filter on my engine last thing I'd need is something happen to the mower, have a lot of grass to cut here and as the summer goes on the weather has been getting hotter out side......
I've used and cut open several Fram PH3614 and PH4967 filters on small engines, I haven't seen any issues with them yet, and would feel confident using them.

Youtube videos are really difficult to use as comparisons, since most people cutting the filters open have no clue what they are looking at. A common mistake I overlooked in the past was people calling the PH filter end caps "cheap cardboard" when in reality the fiber end caps are very strong and difficult to separate from the filter media. I used to be a diehard Purolator and Wix filter buyer a few years ago, but have seen way more problems with Purolators and Wix than I have Fram oddly enough.

It could simply be luck of the draw, or that maybe the filters aren't as bad as people claim they were in years past.

I've used and cut open several Fram PH3614 and PH4967 filters on small engines, I haven't seen any issues with them yet, and would feel confident using them.

Youtube videos are really difficult to use as comparisons, since most people cutting the filters open have no clue what they are looking at. A common mistake I overlooked in the past was people calling the PH filter end caps "cheap cardboard" when in reality the fiber end caps are very strong and difficult to separate from the filter media. I used to be a diehard Purolator and Wix filter buyer a few years ago, but have seen way more problems with Purolators and Wix than I have Fram oddly enough.

It could simply be luck of the draw, or that maybe the filters aren't as bad as people claim they were in years past.
I've been a long time wix fanboy, but am getting tired of paying the premium price at times and seeing that their efficiency numbers are no better or in cases, worse than their competition... I am curious what failures you e seen with them?

I've been a long time wix fanboy, but am getting tired of paying the premium price at times and seeing that their efficiency numbers are no better or in cases, worse than their competition... I am curious what failures you e seen with them?
I used to have only Wix filters on hand. After Mann-Hummel took over you could tell the quality slipped a bit, but it was still convenient for me to buy them since Napa is 10 minutes away so I did. Then I started having issues with them leaking after they were installed. Initially I thought I hadn't cleaned the gasket surface on the engine or over tightened the filter, but it appears they were all leaking from the crimp seam. On this board it seems like others have had this issue also. I was able to exchange some of the filters at Napa, since my local Napa is great, but it just isn't worth the hassle, especially when the prices are not competitive to other brands. I know Wix never had the most efficient numbers, but their construction was always top notch.

2x on Wix quality dropping. I had 2 3.6 chevy filters on 2 different vehicles and one on a 5.3 seeping on me. They were on tight also, technician grip, I have since gone back to AC filters on those vehicles after using Wix for years. I cranked them down tighter, so they stopped leaking until the next change.

That and it's common for them to try to rip the endcap off/away from the filter media while pronouncing them junk. In actual use the oil pressure pushes the endcap the opposite direction, into the media, which is why poorly adhered metal endcaps usually stay where they belong.

Many people who berate fiber endcaps as some sort of cheapening devil can't even explain (or even correctly point to) what a bypass valve or anti-drainback valve does and are just making noise IMO.

2x on Wix quality dropping. I had 2 3.6 chevy filters on 2 different vehicles and one on a 5.3 seeping on me. They were on tight also, technician grip, I have since gone back to AC filters on those vehicles after using Wix for years. I cranked them down tighter, so they stopped leaking until the next change.
Yeah with mine they still leaked after tightening, so I opted to replace them with another filter.

That and it's common for them to try to rip the endcap off/away from the filter media while pronouncing them junk. In actual use the oil pressure pushes the endcap the opposite direction, into the media, which is why poorly adhered metal endcaps usually stay where they belong.

Many people who berate fiber endcaps as some sort of cheapening devil can't even explain (or even correctly point to) what a bypass valve or anti-drainback valve does and are just making noise IMO.

Exactly. I was in the camp of fiber end caps being worse until I saw how the cartridge filters in my BMW held up. The Manns I take out of it look identical to how they went in besides the color.

Back