110K Mile 2011 Dodge Durango 5.7l Hemi Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update on my Durango I bought July 3rd. The day after buying it from the Dealer I checked the Oil (None on the Dip Stick) It was about 1.25 quarts low so I topped off. Drove it 100 miles and checked the oil (again none on the dip stick) noticed a little smoke when engine was revved. I changed the oil which now I know was Mobil 1 5w20 but when the dealer changed it they didnt put a gasket on the drain plug. I bought I whole new drain plug and changed the oil to 6 quarts of PUP 5w-20 and 1 quart of Pennzoil Platinum High Milage 5w-20 w/ Purolator Boss filter. Drove another 100 miles and it was about 1.25 quarts low. I topped it off with a Franken brew (Mobil 1 0w20, Valvoline SynPower 0w20, PUP 5w20, Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w-20) all mixed together from leftover oil changes. I replaced the PVC Valve with OEM Mopar one and after an additional almost 600 miles, It still reads full on the dipstick. I drove it to work today for the first time and there were no Oil puddles on the concrete.

Do you all think it was just the PVC valve? I cant imagine the 1 quart of high milage oil conditioned the seals to get it to stop blow by in that amount of time. Can the PVC valve equate to that much oil loss?

I will continue to monitor the oil level each day for the foreseeable future. Next planned part replacements include Sparkplugs, Brake Pads, Tranny Fluid. Thanks for all the guidance on this one and all the recommendations.

I would have headed back to the dealer with it on the 2nd day if it were >1 qt low...and for sure after the first 100 miles with it another 1 qt low.

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
Just an update on my Durango I bought July 3rd. The day after buying it from the Dealer I checked the Oil (None on the Dip Stick) It was about 1.25 quarts low so I topped off. Drove it 100 miles and checked the oil (again none on the dip stick) noticed a little smoke when engine was revved. I changed the oil which now I know was Mobil 1 5w20 but when the dealer changed it they didnt put a gasket on the drain plug. I bought I whole new drain plug and changed the oil to 6 quarts of PUP 5w-20 and 1 quart of Pennzoil Platinum High Milage 5w-20 w/ Purolator Boss filter. Drove another 100 miles and it was about 1.25 quarts low. I topped it off with a Franken brew (Mobil 1 0w20, Valvoline SynPower 0w20, PUP 5w20, Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w-20) all mixed together from leftover oil changes. I replaced the PVC Valve with OEM Mopar one and after an additional almost 600 miles, It still reads full on the dipstick. I drove it to work today for the first time and there were no Oil puddles on the concrete.

Do you all think it was just the PVC valve? I cant imagine the 1 quart of high milage oil conditioned the seals to get it to stop blow by in that amount of time. Can the PVC valve equate to that much oil loss?

I will continue to monitor the oil level each day for the foreseeable future. Next planned part replacements include Sparkplugs, Brake Pads, Tranny Fluid. Thanks for all the guidance on this one and all the recommendations.

Yeah, the pcv valve can make that much difference if the spring is weak and it's basically just open to vacuum. My fusion that burned about a qt in 6k was all the way to a qt every 1500 or maybe a bit less. Replaced PCV valve with new oem valve and moved up a grade to 10w-30 and I'm back to about a qt in 6k. I'm going to experiment with a 5w-20 HM next oci I think

Yes, I have seen the pcv valve on a hemi cause that, even if they still rattle. Pull the air intake off and look in the throttle body, it is probably an oily mess. You may have to open the throttle blade to really tell.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I would have headed back to the dealer with it on the 2nd day if it were >1 qt low...and for sure after the first 100 miles with it another 1 qt low.
+1

I cant imagine the 1 quart of high milage oil conditioned the seals to get it to stop blow by in that amount of time.

Considering blow-by is gasses getting by the rings, there's nothing to do with seals that a high mileage oil is going to do to help with it.

Can the PVC valve equate to that much oil loss?

Yes, and Ford a TSB that addressed such an issue on the Modular for example, so it is not only quite possible, but the most probable explanation in this scenario.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

Yeah, the pcv valve can make that much difference if the spring is weak and it's basically just open to vacuum. My fusion that burned about a qt in 6k was all the way to a qt every 1500 or maybe a bit less. Replaced PCV valve with new oem valve and moved up a grade to 10w-30 and I'm back to about a qt in 6k. I'm going to experiment with a 5w-20 HM next oci I think

I didn't realize there was supposed to be a spring in there unroll I shook the new one and you could feel the spring. The old one could of possible broke the spring it had no bounce.

I didn't realize there was supposed to be a spring in there unroll I shook the new one and you could feel the spring. The old one could of possible broke the spring it had no bounce.

Good job replacing it with an oem one. Usually the internal spring breaks around the 60k mark on many applications.

1 qt per 100 miles? Seems a bit insane. Id understand if its per 1000 miles but over a qt low from 100 miles...i would of switched that back to the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back