10W40 vs 0W40

Is there much a difference between the two? From what I’ve seen 10W40 is mainly “conventional” and 0W40 is only synthetic. The quotation marks are because most conventional oils are actually blends, so not true conventional. I run an 0w40 in my Infiniti and didn’t know if 10W40 is also a viable option.

0w40 is Usually but not always a European car formula which is more stringent than most whereas 10w40 can be either synthetic or conventional and is more commonly a generic formula that is typically SN or SN+. By generalization of grades, the average 0w40 is typically a stronger oil than the average 10w40. If your car is specs a 40 grade then either can work depending on temperature.

I had the same thoughts about the two, the 0W40 is a proven oil and comes with more certs. In general that makes me “feel” better about using it. IMO I always prefer a synthetic to a conventional, and it’s harder to find a full synthetic 10W40 that isn’t a HM oil. So, I think I’ll stick with the 0W40 for now, unless I found a reason that the 10W40 is better.

In the german oil club Forum, 0w-40 is regarded as a very bad choice, because it is just a marketing gag. Poor quality oil, boosted with VI Improvers that shear down in no time. Avoid it all cost.
If you want to protect your engine, you need a thick base oil, therefore 10w-40. As a side note, allways remember, cold start wear dont exist.
All you need is a thick base oil, thats the most important thing.
;)

I wonder when all the manufacturers that recomemnds 0w-40 for their high end sports cars wake up and see that they do it wrong...
;)

Located in the south, as my profile indicates. 10W40 is approved in the manual. Next.

If you use the site on a mobile phone, signatures and locations aren’t shown.

A 10w40 will be a tad thicker than 0w40. 0w40 behaves more like a thick 5w30.

In your climate, you won’t know the difference. I run 10w40 in my Jeep year round. Have for years.

In the german oil club Forum, 0w-40 is regarded as a very bad choice, because it is just a marketing gag. Poor quality oil, boosted with VI Improvers that shear down in no time. Avoid it all cost.
If you want to protect your engine, you need a thick base oil, therefore 10w-40. As a side note, allways remember, cold start wear dont exist.
All you need is a thick base oil, thats the most important thing.
;)

I wonder when all the manufacturers that recomemnds 0w-40 for their high end sports cars wake up and see that they do it wrong...
;)
How so that cold start wear dont exist?

Back