10w40 vs 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Infiniti burns ~1 qt of 5w30 every 6k miles. Different oils -- HM, syn or dino -- don't make a difference. I know that's not much usage but I'd like to do a summertime run with 10w40 to see if it helps any. The owner's manual says 10w40 is okay to use above 0° F.

I used M1 0w40 once and liked how smooth the engine sounded. It didn't help much with the consumption, but then again it can take a few OCIs to see a difference. I remember reading on here that some oil burning can take place during cold starts. With this in mind, some questions:

- Will the lighter 0 wt oil burn more easily than a heavier 10 wt on cold starts?
- At operating temp, should a 0w40 & 10w40 have the same thickness?
- This car often gets short tripped
Thanks for the info in-advance, guys.

Hello, I trust smarter people will chime in to answer your questions and debunk my misinformation.

I've read here that cold starts contribute to consumption with the 10W-40, when "permitted", being a great first remedy.

It's good the M1 0W-40 did help some. How much, by the way?
With that in mind I'd submit that the Castrol 0W-30 European Formula (which was always credited with being thicker at temperature than the Mobil1 0W-40) might be a good product to try.

PERSONAL NOTE: I just used my last Castrol 0W-30 and have only seen the emplacement 0W-40 EDGE product.

In answer to your 3 questions:
1) I do believe the lighter 0 weights burn cold more readily than the corresponding 10 weights. Bring on the knowledgeable people, please.
2) Yes, I believe they thicken the same way but there are a myriad of differences among products. Bring on the knowledgeable people, please.
3) No, you have nothing to worry about regarding not fully warming up as far as unfolding the polymers in oil goes.
You have more to fret from moisture not being boiled out of your motor oil with short trips. Bring on the knowledgeable people, please.

I just changed the oil in my '99 Saab turbo to the Castrol 0W-30 and I too conclude it is superior due to its quietness.

I'd go for the 10W-40 because it's Spring and I assume your Infinity has 140K on it. Kira

Originally Posted By: mclasser
- Will the lighter 0 wt oil burn more easily than a heavier 10 wt on cold starts?
Yes, probably. This is IMO.

- At operating temp, should a 0w40 & 10w40 have the same thickness?
Yes, assuming same HTHS and specifications.

- This car often gets short tripped div>
Not risky.

Most spec sheets I have looked at show the 10W40 to be thicker at both 100C and 40C than a typical 0W40.

To me this makes a 10W40 better at reducing oil consumption, as long as you are above 0F (-18C) in temp.

A mineral 15W40, especially a HDEO like Delo or Rotella, will be thicker again, as well as requiring a slightly warmer environment.

I would try a 10W40 like Valvoline MaxLife semi-synthetic (red bottle).

My Infiniti burns ~1 qt of 5w30 every 6k miles. Different oils -- HM, syn or dino -- don't make a difference. I know that's not much usage but I'd like to do a summertime run with 10w40 to see if it helps any.

FWIW, I went from a Euro 5w40 oil to HM 10w40 oil in my 530i. It made no difference in terms of usage - still consuming about 1qt every 3k miles.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
FWIW, I went from a Euro 5w40 oil to HM 10w40 oil in my 530i. It made no difference in terms of usage - still consuming about 1qt every 3k miles.

My old Audi consumed a lot of 10W40, so I stepped it up to Shell Helix HX7 15W-50 HM, but it made no difference and drank just as much. So I stepped it up again to Penrite 20W-60 (the HPR 30) and suddenly no consumption issues and yes the car started easy as pie even on a winters morning. But I do live in a warm climate.

Is it actually burning? Or do you have a leak somewhere too?

My Max with the same engine. has an oil leak and thicker oil doesn't do much. It burns a little too, but most of the loss is from leaking.

If you want to run a 40 weight, how about Shell Rotella?

Kira- M1 0w40 didn't help with the consumption.

Asiancivicmaniac- No visible leaks. I've considered 5w40 but the possibility of cat damage with gas engines concerns me.

Steve20- I plan to change the PCV valve when I do a full tuneup this summer. These VQ35s are known burners but the PCV system isn't problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back