10w30 in mower gearbox?

Does this seem strange?

The mower I had on order for a year finally arrived. I was looking at the manual yesterday and they want a 10w30 gas engine oil in the gearbox for the deck. I think it was SJ changed something like every 100 hrs. The engine oil is every 200 btw.

I’m definitely one for following the manual on a new and under warranty machine, but this seems nuts as the other mowers I have call for 90 weight gear oil.

I’m thinking 10w30 Delvac synthetic. That’s the most robust 10w30 synthetic I can think of, but it’s gas/ diesel rated.

If it's new, why are you changing the mower's gear oil? Follow the manual and change it when it's due.

Get some Valvoline VR1 Synthetic 10W30.

71rzihKbKlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'd use it, that's what they designed it for. Now having said that, I'd use something with a lot of zinc, probably moly or Ti also, but I wouldn't obsess over it. Many hydros use 10W30 oil in them. IIRC, Wheel Horse did and they lasted forever, HydroGears did a lot, and many others. If a Hydro can live on motor oil, I'd bet a deck drive could too.I imagine you're thinking hypoid gears, but on a mower, they're no where near as loaded as a car, and they're usually not really hypoid, but just beveled.

Lol they can't even spell class on the tag, very confidence inspiring. If it were mine I'd just run a 10w30 HDEO, like Rotella, or a 15w40 if it makes you feel better.

Lol they can't even spell class on the tag, very confidence inspiring. If it were mine I'd just run a 10w30 HDEO, like Rotella, or a 15w40 if it makes you feel better.
Made in China I’m sure.

Heck, I bought a US made post hole digger and the gearbox was made in China on that too.

Made in China - probably won’t complain on oil. My pick would be Honda MTF or a oil that plays nice with wet clutches like Rotella T4/6.

Get some Valvoline VR1 Synthetic 10W30.

View attachment 93361
Sorry I’m just now seeing this. I like that idea, but it has no API rating IIRC.

On a side note, I also like the idea of a 0w40 since I already have that on hand, but I don’t want that for warranty concerns. No idea if the w rating would matter since it’s a gearbox though. I haven’t ran it hard enough yet to see how warm it gets either.

I wouldn't think a Diesel oil would be good. It has alot of additives that a gearbox would benefit from.

RCK60P-1200Z is the deck #. The differentiation seems to be the sub model for the boxx, ZD1211-60 takes 10W-30 and ZD1211R takes 90W gear oil. I am wondering if the "R" at the end of the model # just means Region the mower is sold in, how cold it gets there, as you're not supposed to use it till warmed up if cold. Here are the documents I'm looking at, page 8 on the brochure and page 45 on the manual:

RCK60P-1200Z is the deck #. The differentiation seems to be the sub model for the boxx, ZD1211-60 takes 10W-30 and ZD1211R takes 90W gear oil. I am wondering if the "R" at the end of the model # just means Region the mower is sold in, how cold it gets there, as you're not supposed to use it till warmed up if cold. Here are the documents I'm looking at, page 8 on the brochure and page 45 on the manual:

I believe the R means “rear discharge”.

The ZD1211xx is the machine’s model number.

The RCK60x and RCK72x is the model of the deck with 60 and 72 being the width in inches.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Another oil worth considering is a motorcycle oil. I found one that is API SJ.

Would the wet clutch additives be something to avoid though?

Back