10w-40 Gets A Bad Rap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by 69 Riv GS:
Oh yeah, I see TallPaul is single handily pulling 10w-40 out of it's sales slump!
grin.gif

...and keeping this thread alive!
grin.gif

Now I am itching to see if next week's Pep Boys ad has the same coupon. The sale is good I think until Aug 14. I will buy two more cases if I can. Then my stash will total 92 quarts. I will have to get 8 more just to say my stash once reached 100 quarts.

Think I will do some mixing of the 10w30 and 10w40 Maxlife for the Motorhome and Aerostar. If they like it, may go full 10w40 in them also.

Well so far so good with my 10W-40 Maxlife... I love the stuff
smile.gif
patriot.gif

(helping to keep the thread alive)

I switched from a 10W-40 back to a 10W-30 on my last oil change,mistake.I plan on going back to the 10W-40,it really is good oil.TallPaul,keep up the fight.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Just bought two cases Durablend 10w40 today. Couldn't help myself when I saw the Pep Boys coupon for it at $1.99 per quart.

Just got this week's Pep Boys coupon and the Maxlife and Durablend coupon now says $1.89! I'm heading out soon as they open in the morning.

Want a sheer stable 10w40 with higher ZDDP levels?

Try this:

Zinc: 1200 ppm
Phosphorus: 1090 ppm
Calcium: 2300 ppm
*from Valvoline Tech Sheets

This stuff is sheer stable enough to handle transmission gears. It's Valvoline 4 Stroke Motorcycle Oil. It's priced the same as Durablend. And it is rated SJ so we can use it in our cars and light trucks up through about (what was it?) 1998 model year or so.

Might have to go over to this stuff instead of the new SM oils. Viscosity is a solid 15.2 @ 100C too. TBN of 7.9 and viscosity index is 155. Not bad for a 10w40, aye?

(Heh heh heh, snuck this favorite thread back to the top.)

I put this Motul 10w-40 in my 04 Kia a few months back Motul because I thought it was going to see in excess of 6k miles this summer during some planned vacation trips . We took another car but I just drained the oil because even with the low VI @ 40c it was taking too long for the oil to get up top even at 75F and me no did like the unneeded noise . Fuel mileage was effected over the previous two 30wts used as well and it's just a 13 cSt oil

Some of these OHC 4 cylinders are tempermental towards viscosity . Both Miata's we have here are like that too when it gets below 40F or so depending on what oils in them .

Why not just use a 15w40. Higher adds then 10w40, less VI, plus more easily available.

-T

I've been using Chevron Supreme and Havoline 10w-40, mostly because I can blend it with Delo and some of the Havoline Synth 5w-30 I have stashed. After running 15w-40 in these cars last summer, I figure they are cleaned out and the 10w-40 should deliver better mpg, while the price is better. The 10w rating allows for running into the cooler Fall months, who cares if it shears a bit. I would be willing to try another brand of 10w-40. Can't find Citgo, willing to try Pennzoil (price is good). Willing to try MC 10w-40 too. Also, I have some 10w-40 Clean 5000 for blending with a stash of Clean 5000 5w-30. DuraBlend and Syntec Blend are probally two of the best in that grade. I dunno, I'm not really into blends. I see Mobil is embracing the 10w-40 with Mobil 1 EP and Clean HM. It really might be a great visc for the Euro cars.

Since i like to change my oil every 4.000 miles i am currently using a 10W40. Why?
Because it is recommended by Daewoo and it's A3 rated which means it has passed the following tests.
http://www.swri.org/4org/d08/global/pdfs/blksludge.pdf
A 257-hour sludge test with four different phases ,performed in a mercedes engine.

http://www.swri.org/4org/d08/global/pdfs/hitempdep.pdf
A full throttle 72 hour test performed in a peugeot engine.

And some other tests.
http://www.swri.org/4org/d08/global/home.htm

Yannis,

What can you tell us about the Hellas Brand of Oils, and 10W40's popularity in Hellas? Are the heavy viscosity oils still popular? Have things changed much with Greece becoming a full-member of the EEC?

Greece has mostly low displacement motors for tax reasons, that work very hard in mountain-type service. The bodies seem to last forever! Old Mercedes-Benz Diesels went Greece to die or put into TAXI Service, until they quit-teza! YIA...

Greece became a full-member of the EC(European Community) in 1981, many things have changed since then.
Heavy viscosity oils are popular in pre-2000 models since 0 F is somethink very rare, and yes cars and engines last for ever because of the absence of salt and snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back