$10k for a 240v outlet install?

Does this price look right for upgrading to a 225amp panel including meter replacement? I'm in Texas.

~1200 sqft home. Built early 70s.

All the appliances are electric (stove, oven, water heater) Don't have anything else aside from the central air that draws significant amounts of power.

Need a level 2 charger set up for a new EV and got a free quote from the first reputable company that I found with experience installing L2 chargers.
IMG_1664.jpeg

All I can tell you is I paid a whole lot less. The service panel was upgraded years ago as part of a remodel. After we got the Tesla, I had 60' of #6 copper wire run under the house to a NEMA 14-50 for $600 all in, including tip. I used the mobile charger for almost 5 years. A couple weeks ago I bought a Tesla Wall charger, $450 and had it installed by an electrician friend for $200. Reused the dedicated circuit.
1700708764989.jpg

1700708640209.png

All I can tell you is I paid a whole lot less. The service panel was upgraded years ago as part of a remodel. After we got the Tesla, I had 60' of #6 copper wire run under the house to a NEMA 14-50 for $600 all in, including tip. I used the mobile charger for almost 5 years. A couple weeks ago I bought a Tesla Wall charger, $450 and had it installed by an electrician friend for $200. Reused the dedicated circuit.
View attachment 189856
View attachment 189855

Good to know. $10k seemed insane.

$10k buys a lot of gasoline I just kidding ya. Definitely get a few more quotes that seems really high
Wasn’t really about the gas savings lol. It’s an Audi e tron GT and the amount of incentives and rebates Audi has on those was hard to pass up!

The big cost here isn't the level 2 charger.... but at $1800 it still isn't cheap.

The big cost is the panel upgrade that sounds like is needed to accommodate that.

Been mulling over a panel upgrade at a seasonal property... 70s vintage and it doesn't come cheap...

Texas is the new California apparently. That quote seems rich.
This was the first quote from the first company that mentioned level 2 chargers on their website—definitely going to find other options lol. Probably from companies that don’t explicitly mention EVs.

Does this price look right for upgrading to a 225amp panel including meter replacement? I'm in Texas.

~1200 sqft home. Built early 70s.

All the appliances are electric (stove, oven, water heater) Don't have anything else aside from the central air that draws significant amounts of power.

Need a level 2 charger set up for a new EV and got a free quote from the first reputable company that I found with experience installing L2 chargers.View attachment 189854
**** 😳 that quote will buy a lot of hydrocarbons for my ICE vehicles.

Just my $0.02

West coast electrician here. I think for Texas it's way too much. Is it a union shop? lol Some of our prices for comparison:
Full service(meter main with breakers(mast riser with SER run to indoor panel) including grounding and bonding)) $5400
EV: $750-1500 dependent on distance

Back