10 wasted hours waiting for my car in Hesperia CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Tuesday I went to see the mechanical man (Mechman) in Hesperia Ca. It took 6 hours to custom fit his alternator in the limited space of my infiniti. I helped him and we got it to fit and it works great, now my car charges between 3.6 and 3.3 volts while driving. We could have done more volts but because of my super charger we had to use a bigger pulley and I'll have to set the idle to 900 rpm for idling in traffic. Dennis is a great guy and charged me only $200.00 for all the work. Because we had to drop the AC compressor I went to a station to get a freon recharge and believe it or not the green AC oil was running out the bottom of the car! Then I remember he took off the filler nut on top of the compressor and never re tightened it. So back to Mechman and he had to remove the compressor and tighten the bolt. Meanwhile Dennis lives in an area where the roads are just sand and dust and my car was filthy so I had to stop and wash it twice to get rid of the sand.

That part was easy. Now it's Wednesday AM and I find a place called B&D automotive. I stopped in and asked them to recharge my AC so they hook up their machine and later came back and told me the system won't hold a vacuum. They spent an hour telling me a myriad of scenarios of what could be wrong. Finally I said drop the compressor and lets take a look. An hour later they did drop the compressor and showed me where someone had previously messed up the threads for the bolts holding the lines to the unit and they said I need a new one. I figured OK the unit is 11 years old and the threads have been messed up so OK.

I ask him to get an infiniti or nissan unit and he said fine the job will cost $700.00 for everything and I agreed. 2 hours later The unit shows up and I wanted to see it. They tried to talk me out of going back to the shop but I forced the issue and I look at the unit and it appeared to be a rebuild from a parts store. They said nothing but I went and called the only nissan dealership in the entire area and said to the parts man "this is B&D automotive and we're wondering where the compressor is and they said we didn't sell an AC compressor to anyone in the area and he also said they're the only one to supply this unit in that part of the country. I went back to the shop and said I know that's not a nissan unit, what happened? The guy looks at me and said "oh the nissan dealer didn't have the unit after all so we got one from our parts supplier and I was too busy to tell you. Now I'm really angry but I felt they had my car and what could I do. Now 3 more hours pass I go back to the shop to see what's wrong and they got snippy with me and told me to go back to the waiting area. Another 2 1/2 hours elapse and finally they came back to tell me they put my original AC compressor back on and recharged the system because when they installed the rebuilt unit it acted exactly like my unit and wouldn't hold a vacuum. Then the guy said maybe my recharge machine is not operating correctly!
He continued, since you were here all day I won't charge you a dime for everything. What could I say?, the AC has been working fine since then. Bizarre

Can you imagine the number of people who get screwed over by garages as they travel across the country and their car breaks down.
My wife said she felt like they were holding us hostage with our car. What good is it to start screaming?, they will probably stop working and make you wait even longer. Or if you try not to pay they call the police who may be their brother-in-law and you may wind up in jail.

From now on while traveling outside familiar territory I will seek out a real dealership for repairs. At least then I may have some recourse if something goes wrong even if it costs more!
hide.gif

I'm not sure what you mean, Mechman removed the top filler bolt from the AC compressor while checking for clearance problem when reinstalling compressor under the new alternator. He forgot to tighten it down when he reinstalled it.

All I know is that when the bolt was loose most of the compressor oil blew out of the bolt hole.

"Can you imagine the number of people who get screwed over by garages as they travel across the country and their car breaks down."

This is so common and not just with the average shops,the high end companies pull it too. It pays to be careful keep your eyes open and KNOW who you deal with.

Kudos to you for standing up for yo-self!

Terry

Even with local shops I'll insist on watching the tech. I know some guys hate it and prefer to stay out of the customer service aspect of auto repair, but the behaviour of their peers (and maybe even themselves) make this necessary. With doing this, I'm even confident bringing my car to the local chain store's auto bay for more routine repairs that I don't have resources for. I'm basically just paying someone for a lift and to keep my own hands clean.

I got screw with the alternator repair once. The battery could hold charge and the car shut off 5 times while in motion. I had the battery jump kit with me and ran out of juice the 3rd time. Anyway, a few people help me push it out of the road and into the parking next to the repair shop. The guy gave me this jump kit and it start it and ran great. I noticed that it hold charge at that time. Anyway, they did the battery check and whatnot and came back to tell me that my alternator is either dying or just dead. I figure since the car was 14 years old so I told them to change it. They came back half an hour later and say they can't honor their work unless they change the fan belts too. I was like "fan belts are like 8 bucks each right" and they said yeah. Well well well, I got a bill somewhere between 500 to 600 bucks and looked at the detail. They charge me labor for putting the belts on. Now, when you replace the alternator out, you are gonna put the belt on anyway. So bascially they screw me out of about 150 for the belts replacment. A few days later the battery dead and I had Advance Auto Part replace it. So I don't know if my alternator really died or I just had a very bad battery.

Sad part is this place was 33 miles from my house and I go to the shopping mall next door all the time. Let just said it was like 100 degree outside and my car broke down, so I was victimize just like anyone else. And this was at Meineke too and not some cousins and crooks joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back