10 most expensive car repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
i think it is down right insane to make all these stupid cars with these stupid costly parts. we all know the more [censored] involved means the more opportunity for something to break. cats integrated and turbos all hopped up and i dont think these new cars will be as reliable as cars ten years ago . to much [censored] to go wrong. and 2k for a cat is nuts no matter how you slice it. i will be enjoying my saturn for a long time to come atleast its not stupid and all jacked up on fancy expensive mojo.

The reason for moving the cat closer to the exhaust manifold is for longevity. Cats function like small furnaces, converting pollutants into harmless gasses. The hotter they get, the better they perform, the cleaner they stay, the longer they last. If they never get that hot, debris pile up, the media clogs, the furnace goes out.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
and 2k for a cat is nuts no matter how you slice it.

Actually a manifold cat avgs $700-$900 at a shop. But a manifold cat is easier to replace than a cat under the car, so DIY cos is approx $400.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
When was the last time anyone needed, or even heard of someone else needing their torque converter replaced?
Yes. On Honda, Acura. Shuddering TC.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
When was the last time anyone needed, or even heard of someone else needing their torque converter replaced?

Ford Windstars had torque converter problems.

That article is pretty ridiculous though. Replacing one cylinder? Yeah, you hear about people doing that a lot!

Quote:
Change your oil often and get your valves adjusted. But camshaft replacement is hard work, which means you can shell out anywhere from $1,600 to $3,100 for a new one.

What the h*ll! I better go out and have my valves adjusted within the week.

On a side note I saw nothing about timing belts. God help you if you have a newer Ford Edge.

How come AC repairs are not on the list? If you have an old car that needs an AC overhaul, let's say you need a new AC compressor and condenser, this could easily cost $1,500-$2,000.

Last edited:
I only glanced at the first page (yesterday), but in regards to a/c, it seemed the article was more based towards preventative maintance. Not much you can do with a/c other than to cycle it in the off months (and on most cars the a/c will cycle on automatically for defrosting the windshield). If something acts up on it you can ignore it indefinately--unlike ignoring a CEL or a noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back