0W40

I’ve read many posts on here that states that 0W40 is a great all around oil, better add packs etc. and how its a great oil for the DI turbo ecoboost engines. While I dont have the Ecoboost, I do have a 2012 F150 with the 3.7 V6 that just hit 170k miles. Bought it last year with 151k and besides needing a new tranny it has been flawless. Im currently running Castrol Edge EP 5W30 and a Fram Ultra filter at 6k intervals, but was wondering if 0W40 would be better, or possibly too thick, and potentially mess with the VVT.
This is my weekly 5 day a week routine. I drive 3 miles to church in the morning, stay for 30 minutes, then 2.7 miles back to the local gas station for coffee and biscuits, there for an hour and a half, then a 7 mile drive to work where Im in and out in the road most of the day anywhere from 20-30 miles. I tend to put about 100 miles every weekend. As you can see, a few short trips every morning. My engine ticks on cold starts, but I think its just the nature of the beast. So would 0W40 Castrol Edge fit the bill?

Castrol Edge would be fine.
It is not too thick. Your engine has to deal with thicker film during warm up.
Question is: do you need it? It might silence tick initially as Castrol 0W40 is more robust oil than 5W30 EP. It has better base stocks, additives etc.
You can get thinner version, Edge 0W30 on Wal Mart web site. Some $8 per quart. That 0W30 (I have it in Tiguan) is darling among Euro owner last 15 years.

I'm not so sure that it's the 0W-40 part that is so great, but the specification.
Mercedes 229.5 spec is a highly recommended oil, since it is a difficult spec to meet.
It just so happens that the Mobil1 Oil that meets that specification is commonly found in the 0W-40 viscosity, marketed under the European vehicle label.
I suppose that the Castrol Edge meets that spec as well, and possibly in other viscosity ranges.
Oddly enough, the new spec for the Corvette falls into the 0W-40 range as well. My neighbor put M1 229.5 Euro oil in his 2006 Vette on my advice, and it made a valve tick on startup go away. He loves it now!

I'd have no issues running it, but my preference would be M1 0W-40 over Castrol. That's just my preference, though, and there's likely not much difference between the two.

I like the M1 0W-40 and have used it in a lot of different applications. It really helped starting my F-150 in single digit temps. And it is a thinner 40 than most so it is not a problem running it in many applications where 40 is not specified.

I like the fact that both Castrol 0w40 and their PCMO 5w40 can easily be had on the shelves of most Walmart stores. Both oils are top notch products for the price. The same could be said about Valvoline's similar offerings.

Mobil 1 0w40 is fine as well but on the thin side being just above the threshold between 30 and 40 weight oils.

Edge is a bit thicker.
Edge has a kenamatic viscosity of 13.1 and M1 has viscosity of 12.9

I'm not so sure that it's the 0W-40 part that is so great, but the specification.
Mercedes 229.5 spec is a highly recommended oil, since it is a difficult spec to meet.
It just so happens that the Mobil1 Oil that meets that specification is commonly found in the 0W-40 viscosity, marketed under the European vehicle label.
I suppose that the Castrol Edge meets that spec as well, and possibly in other viscosity ranges.
Oddly enough, the new spec for the Corvette falls into the 0W-40 range as well. My neighbor put M1 229.5 Euro oil in his 2006 Vette on my advice, and it made a valve tick on startup go away. He loves it now!

Well it's more than just so happens. Mobil is the recommended oil by Mercedes and there's a Mobil 1 sticker on the inside of my Mercedes E-350. The oil you buy at the Mercedes dealer is made by Mobil.

Still for a long time, Mercedes owners preferred Castrol 0w40 over Mobil 1 0w40 because it had BMW LL-01, but Castrol just lost that recently just like Mobil so I guess it's back to it being a toss up. Got some Mobil 1 myself recently just because of the Mobil 1 rebate which ended.

Did Castrol lose LL01 because it no longer met the spec or because the companies broke the partnership?

iirc, @edyvw was saying Castrol is better for DI or turbo DI (lspi), otherwise M1 is pretty good. No?

LL01 is a pretty outdated spec and manufacturers have to pay BMW to license their oils with that spec. The 5w40 is still rated LL01 but any A3/B4 oil would exceed the LL01 spec and be fine to run. Personally I've always preferred Castrol to M1.

I like the fact that both Castrol 0w40 and their PCMO 5w40 can easily be had on the shelves of most Walmart stores. Both oils are top notch products for the price.
why would you ever buy their 5W40? even with the recent changes it has absolutely nothing to offer at the table other than BMW’s updated legacy approval

why would you ever buy their 5W40? even with the recent changes it has absolutely nothing to offer at the table other than BMW’s updated legacy approval

I am a 0w40 fan myself but I know a lot of people that like using a PCMO 5w40 like folks with a turbo Subaru. To each their own :)

LL01 is a pretty outdated spec and manufacturers have to pay BMW to license their oils with that spec. The 5w40 is still rated LL01 but any A3/B4 oil would exceed the LL01 spec and be fine to run. Personally I've always preferred Castrol to M1.
No it is not outdated!
LL01 as well as LL04 were updated in 2018 to new standards, as they were several times since 2001 and 2004.
Reason why 0W40 oils lost LL01 is oxidation requirement that BMW sets up over 25k km OCI period (BMW tests oils for that OCI). Some oils have higher natural oxidation. BMW has most stringent oxidation requirements in auto industry, and they got even more stringent with latest update. All 0W40 and thick 0W30 oils lost that approval.
BMW does not charge licensing fee. It is actually very cheap to get BMW approval.

Mobilnissan1991, your signature doesn't show where you are located. If you are in a Northern climate, I would heartedly recommend 0W-40 in the European variety. However, if you live in a Southern climate, I would be inclined to recommend a 5W-40 European formula instead.

I've been using 0W-40 for a couple years now, and have found that I strongly prefer it over a 5W-30.

Back