0w20 OR 5W30: nissan maxima 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SDANGERS

I live in a Middle East Saudi Arabia - VERY HIGH TEMPERATURES!
Sometimes peaks upto 40 deg C (104 deg F) in July. Never cold here, the minimum morning temperatures are like 20 deg C (68 def F)

Look at the chart. You should be running 20W-50. 0W-20 and 5W-30 are both too thin.

Originally Posted By: igs
Originally Posted By: SDANGERS

I live in a Middle East Saudi Arabia - VERY HIGH TEMPERATURES!
Sometimes peaks upto 40 deg C (104 deg F) in July. Never cold here, the minimum morning temperatures are like 20 deg C (68 def F)

Look at the chart. You should be running 20W-50. 0W-20 and 5W-30 are both too thin.

The chart says 5W30 can go from -22F / -30C to Above 104F / 40C, and if we are talking a full synthetic like M1 5W30 or SHU 5W30, then I have no concern. I live in a similar climate to the OP.

But yes a 20W50 would work, and I've used a lot in my time, but there is no need with a modern car and modern synthetics. To be honest, a 5W40 synthetic would be another good option and so would a 15W40 mineral, but the OP only listed a few 5W30's and one 0W20.

Given that choice, I vote for a synthetic 5W30, and without a concern.

Originally Posted By: igs

Where on the chart or in his manual does it say 0w-20 and 5w-30 are both too thin?

Originally Posted By: Nicasio
Wow I wonder if I should change the 0W20 in the Armada since we've just had a whole week in the 100's

Looks like it's time for you to run some Nulon 25W-60 Street & Track

ST25W60-5.jpg

Definitely go with a higher grade. Xw-30 or Xw-40. 10w-30 would be my first choice. Your chart says it all.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Where on the chart or in his manual does it say 0w-20 and 5w-30 are both too thin?

On the chart. If outside temperature doesn't drop below 14 deg F use 20W-50. Since his outside temp doesn't drop below 68 he should probably be using something much thicker.

It doesn't say that at all, though. I've never seen a gasoline engine manual recommend to use the thickest grade listed, and this one is no exception. It simply does not say that 0w-20 and 5w-30 are both too thin. He also can use a 5w-30 with an HTHS of 3.5. He's not stuck with ILSAC oils, just SN. I'd use a 5w-30 C3 or E6 any day of the week before a 20w-50, irrespective of climate, given his manual recommendations.

The manual says the alternative to 0w-20 is "...SAE 5w-30 conventions petroleum oil...". Could this mean only conventional 5w-30 is approved and not synthetic? Don't know why this would be the case, but "conventions" and "petroleum" sure suggest this is what Nissan has in mind.

It's weird wording, but that's common with Nissan/Infiniti. I think it means that the minimum specification is conventional, and you don't have to use synthetic. Of course, this makes great sense, because what really is a synthetic? If they wanted something more "advanced" than ordinary 5w-30, it would be prudent to call for a specification. With 0w-20, the average person is going to run into a synthetic anyhow. With 5w-30, well, you know how that goes.

For reference, Infiniti/Nissan in Canada use Mobil products as service fill, and they go through plenty of M1.

Bumping an oil thread but related question,
Would you back spec 0w20 to an 09 Maxima? They have nearly the exact same engine (or probably some minor non-oil related differences)
The 09 to 14 calls for 5w30 primarily

SDANGERS looks like a one-time drive-by poster so I don't think you will get a response.

What's with the thread necromancy lately?

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Would you back spec 0w20 to an 09 Maxima? They have nearly the exact same engine (or probably some minor non-oil related differences)

No way, nope,never. Keep the 30.

Originally Posted by kschachn
SDANGERS looks like a one-time drive-by poster so I don't think you will get a response.

I am addressing this question to the BITOG community.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by mahanddeem

No way, nope,never. Keep the 30.

My gut feeling is telling me the same

I'd bet a shiny new nickel that if the OP would've used 0W-20 with reasonable OCI's, and kept up the other maintenance on the car, it would be running just fine three years later. There are umpteen thousand million GM, Ford, Ram, Toyota and Honda pickups dragging big heavy campers and boats and other heavily loaded trailers all over the country, in all kinds of extreme weather conditions, up and down mountains that are doing just fine on XW-20 oils. Not to mention all of the regular old cars, suv's and pickups that drive around in the extreme heat of Texas, Florida, Arizona etc for millions of miles every year on those same XW-20 oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back