0w-40 or 5w-40 for BMW N52?

I keep reading mixed things about these two different weight oils. I live in Chicago so during the winter, temps are known to get pretty low (in the negatives sometimes). I was told that 5w-40 (I've been using Liqui-Molly 5w-40 since 2019 and have no issues) is the best oil to use in the climate and the way I drive (like an old grandma at the age of 22 🤣). But, some BMW forums are saying 0w-40 is better than 5w-40 because it doesn't wear faster than 5w-40 does.

Here's a UOA done on this guys BMW N52 using both 0w-40 and 5w-40 weigh oil if anyone wants to read it:

Last edited:
I've seen your posts on the BMW forums, I'm on the same forum under a different username. Those guys don't know anything about oil, and most of them say to buy the BMW branded oil, because they don't realize that although there is nothing wrong with it, the oil is just rebranded Shell or Castrol synthetic.

Personally, I use Castrol 0w40 year round and the UOA I did on the oil came back great. It's a great oil and easy to find.

I've seen your posts on the BMW forums, I'm on the same forum under a different username. Those guys don't know anything about oil, and most of them say to buy the BMW branded oil, because they don't realize that although there is nothing wrong with it, the oil is just rebranded Shell or Castrol synthetic.

Personally, I use Castrol 0w40 year round and the UOA I did on the oil came back great. It's a great oil and easy to find.
The main reason I use 5w-40 is because I don’t have to pay for the oil change kits. If I had to pay, I’d use Castrol 5w-30 A3/B4 or 0w-40. I’m gonna get a UOA on the 5w-49 oil later in April. I’ll see what shows up (I’ll list it here) and maybe I’ll go from there.

The main reason I use 5w-40 is because I don’t have to pay for the oil change kits. If I had to pay, I’d use Castrol 5w-30 A3/B4 or 0w-40. I’m gonna get a UOA on the 5w-49 oil later in April. I’ll see what shows up (I’ll list it here) and maybe I’ll go from there.
The Liqui-Moly 5w40 is a great oil, and I use FCP's oil change kits for my sister's Jetta with that same oil. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in the N52. In fact I think I have a UOA with their oil from my N51, I'll have to see if I can find it. I wouldn't say the 5w40 or 0w40 is better, they are both great oils. Use whichever one is more convenient for you. (y)

EDIT: here is the link to the UOA, it compares Liqui-Moly MolyGen 5w40 to the previous oil I ran which was Castrol 0w40:

The Liqui-Moly 5w40 is a great oil, and I use FCP's oil change kits for my sister's Jetta with that same oil. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in the N52. In fact I think I have a UOA with their oil from my N51, I'll have to see if I can find it. I wouldn't say the 5w40 or 0w40 is better, they are both great oils. Use whichever one is more convenient for you. (y)
EDIT: here is the link to the UOA, it compares Liqui-Moly MolyGen 5w40 to the previous oil I ran which was Castrol 0w40:

The people in the BMW forum ***** about how liqui molly is mediocre oil and people only buy it because it has the big “MADE IN GERMANY” on the front. I mean, other brands like Mobil 1, Castrol, motul etc have made in Germany on the back. So what’s the difference 😂.

The people in the BMW forum ***** about how liqui molly is mediocre oil and people only buy it because it has the big “MADE IN GERMANY” on the front. I mean, other brands like Mobil 1, Castrol, motul etc have made in Germany on the back. So what’s the difference 😂.
This emphasizes my point about how most of them know nothing about oil. 🙃 Use it with confidence.

This emphasizes my point about how most of them know nothing about oil. 🙃 Use it with confidence.
I haven’t heard anything bad about Liqui-Molly since i started using. I’m pretty sure Porsche owners read more into oil than we do. So if a Porsche owners use it, it’s good enough for me. Have you tried there ceratec product?

I haven’t heard anything bad about Liqui-Molly since i started using. I’m pretty sure Porsche owners read more into oil than we do. So if a Porsche owners use it, it’s good enough for me. Have you tried there ceratec product?
I haven't tried the Ceratec, personally I think just running quality oil and changing it on time is perfect. Additives could potentially mess with the VANOS units.

I haven't tried the Ceratec, personally I think just running quality oil and changing it on time is perfect. Additives could potentially mess with the VANOS units.
I used it at 68k miles 2 years ago 😂. Don’t really feel a difference (I’m at 71k miles right now).

Mobil1 is made in France or Finland. For US market it is made in US (some were made in France and Finland few years back).
Castrol has some products made in Germany, but it seams they moved everything to Belgium and Austria.
Motul is made in France.

I some cases it is, in some not.
For example TPT 0W40 M Performance is completely different product from SHell Helix 0W40 (based on PAO not GTL, higher KV100, more ZDDP). TPT 5W40 LL04 is different product from Shell LL04 oils, as well as LL01 5W30.

I some cases it is, in some not.
For example TPT 0W40 M Performance is completely different product from SHell Helix 0W40 (based on PAO not GTL, higher KV100, more ZDDP). TPT 5W40 LL04 is different product from Shell LL04 oils, as well as LL01 5W30.
Yeah it depends what oil/specs/country we are talking about, but basically it's whoever the contract goes to as far as oil brand. The discussion I had on the BMW forums was that someone thought BMW had their own oil refinery and it wasn't oil that was manufactured for BMW by Shell, Castrol, Mobil, etc.

Yeah it depends what oil/specs/country we are talking about, but basically it's whoever the contract goes to as far as oil brand. The discussion I had on the BMW forums was that someone thought BMW had their own oil refinery and it wasn't oil that was manufactured for BMW by Shell, Castrol, Mobil, etc.
LOL. Well....
All data I have seen on their TPT LL01, LL04 and M Performance is pretty consistent across the world. M Performance is also Shell. So, I think BMW is having their own recipe in some cases. Probably some oils are just repackaged.
WIll be interesting to see when they move to Castrol.

Last edited:
I use BMW branded oil because my local dealer gives me a healthy discount; if that wasn't the case I'd probably go with Castrol as it's readily available. I do use Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver in my Club Sport and Clubman.

LOL. Well....
All data I have seen on their TPT LL01, LL04 and M Performance is pretty consistent across the world. M Performance is also Shell. So, I think BMW is having their own recipe in some cases. Probably some oils are just repackaged.
WIll be interesting to see when they move to Castrol.
Is BMW for sure moving back to Castrol?

I keep reading mixed things about these two different weight oils. I live in Chicago so during the winter, temps are known to get pretty low (in the negatives sometimes). I was told that 5w-40 (I've been using Liqui-Molly 5w-40 since 2019 and have no issues) is the best oil to use in the climate and the way I drive (like an old grandma at the age of 22 🤣). But, some BMW forums are saying 0w-40 is better than 5w-40 because it doesn't wear faster than 5w-40 does.

Here's a UOA done on this guys BMW N52 using both 0w-40 and 5w-40 weigh oil if anyone wants to read it:

To me Liquimoly is hardcore advertising. Their oil is nothing special but it will get the job done in which it is intended to do so. I’ve seen M1, PP, Castrol (euro approved all of them) have the same if not better wear numbers for a much much cheaper price.

I’d stick to what you’re using as long as it meets specs.

The reason one sees similar wear numbers between appropriately rated oils is because it’s not about the oil, it’s about the operating conditions and specific engine design.

Back