0w-16 group forum info

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member, posted with a clown emoji, saying they are using 0W-16 on a 2009 car.
FYI Never took cemistry, only know what I read and can not believe all. Driving for 51 years and changing oil for same amount of time. I got the 2018 Camry because it was getting too hard to do the repairs myself. The Camry is getting 41-42 mpg with 2k on engine all Hiway. So, when 0w-16 oil came in the crankcase, I wanted to know all about the new oil. MY 2009 Spectra is designed to take 5w-30 or 0w-20. What looked like a research paper from an oil engineer on Bob the oil Guy site said, you can go up or down 1 one oil spec on an engine, I tried 0w-16 on this old KIA. Yes, the post on shearing some parts (bearings) made a good point. 0w-16 has been used in Japan since 2000. Has different engines been made in Japan since 2000 than for the US, I don't think so. Yes, my KIA is running better, but at what cost? Not much, it is only worth about 1500.00 and i drive 3K to 6k per year with this car. Another point in a research article said, 10K drain cycle is not good for heavy use cars like police slow or long idle use. 25%- 35% shorter drain cycles are required. My Camry does do alot of stop and go, long idles. I appreciated that info and will change oil around 5k-6k. Also, regarding 15K oil or one year changes, an article used a graph showing how oxidation and 3 other peramiters affect oil as it ages. My long time mechanic believes 6 months and oil is done. The article's graph and oil color change range shows that oil as it just starts to turn black is a good indicator that your oil has lost its given benifits. So, I'm only asking in ignorance, those with credentials give their understanding on the newly introduced 0w-16 oil in New cars today and its use in older cars. Especially when using Abbreviations, please dumb it down for us old guys. Respectfully DCG PS. I unknowingly hit the emoji button. Your belief that I was pulling your legs was funny, but not true smile

If I remember correctly, someone here used 0W16 in a RAV4 with good results. The fact that Toyota 'backspeced' the 2az for 5W20 and not the 5S gives me a good reason to NOT run 0W20 in my old car. Still, curiosity makes me think of how it would work out and what the benefits would be. For the 6 month argument, I disagree. We either do 10K or 1 year, whichever is first. The oil is black in two out of the three cars, but I am more than sure they have life left.

You won't know what the effects are or damage caused until A: you either tear down the engine and inspect or B: you blow it up!

Sorry, 0W16 has no place in ANY engine for me, I still believe in old fashioned viscosity and film strength are what helps prevent metal to metal contact in a hydrodynamic lubrication system.

Aoto repair owner who buys 55 gal drums said 5w=20 is being discontinued. Who knows? to many oils w's out there now. Oil mgf's are sure to make changes soon. so confusing I hope Toyoto doesn't have the engine problems they had in the 2007's time period.

I would never go down in viscosity unless the vehicle manufacturer back-specified the oil for older models, like Honda did a few years back when it okayed the use of 0w-20 in many models originally specified for 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: DavidGussie1
0w-16 has been used in Japan since 2000.

No it hasn't. The 16 grade wasn't added to SAE J300 until April 2013, before that the lowest defined viscosity grade was 0W-20. That's not to say that an oil meeting today's 0W-16 requirements wasn't being used back then, that's possible but it would have been undefined in terms of SAE grade.

Originally Posted By: weasley
No it hasn't. The 16 grade wasn't added to SAE J300 until April 2013, before that the lowest defined viscosity grade was 0W-20. That's not to say that an oil meeting today's 0W-16 requirements wasn't being used back then, that's possible but it would have been undefined in terms of SAE grade.

Welcome to the club...I'll let you in that it gets tiring after a while.

Well, Here are the results on the 0w-16 one tank of gas. engine had much more pep. I did do more Hiway miles. wow, got 35.3 mpg (local use best 28mpg)which is much better than any MPG I did around town or very close to the highest range for Hiway miles. Did kotice engine had a little more noise but the engine was smooth on idle. I was using 5w-30. I will drop this oil soon because i need to replace the oil crush seal ring on the drain plug. and 0w-20 is manuel approved. I'll use this oil to top off a few cars as needed, if needed.

Also, any one use Tribo TEX? For some reason it sounds to good to be true and their marketing, I think is a variation of a pyrmid posture with perks, different prices and sales offers. Any comments is appreciated

I think if you add the additive with the 0W16, you will have to pull over regularly to empty the fuel tank, and stop it spilling on the road.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
You won't know what the effects are or damage caused until A: you either tear down the engine and inspect or B: you blow it up!

Sorry, 0W16 has no place in ANY engine for me, I still believe in old fashioned viscosity and film strength are what helps prevent metal to metal contact in a hydrodynamic lubrication system.

Me too! That's why I'm stickin with 0-20. None of that water oil for me.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
So your down under wirh a steak on the Barbie! A penny saved is a penny earned. My caculations mean that my oil changes are free. without wearing out the engine.
with 3-6K per year I'll be dead for 20 years when the car goes over 200K lol Mate!

So your down under wirh a steak on the Barbie! A penny saved is a penny earned. My caculations mean that my oil changes are free. without wearing out the engine.
with 3-6K per year I'll be dead for 20 years when the car goes over 200K lol Mate!

You got 7MPG ?
An improvement of 25% ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

You got 7MPG ?
An improvement of 25% ?

Better call up Mobil! Jesus, the best they were able to get was like 2% and that was going from something like 20w-50
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Shannow

You got 7MPG ?
An improvement of 25% ?

Better call up Mobil! Jesus, the best they were able to get was like 2% and that was going from something like 20w-50
crazy2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Going from 5w-20 to 0w-20 isn't the same as "back-specing a thinner oil". The viscosity range of both of those oils at operating temps is the same: in the 20 weight range. The only difference is the 0w would demonstrate some ability to pour at minus 30 C, whereas the 5W wouldn't pour below something like minus 25 C. (I could be off a few degrees on both ranges...)

Originally Posted By: Titan
Going from 5w-20 to 0w-20 isn't the same as "back-specing a thinner oil". The viscosity range of both of those oils at operating temps is the same: in the 20 weight range. The only difference is the 0w would demonstrate some ability to pour at minus 30 C, whereas the 5W wouldn't pour below something like minus 25 C. (I could be off a few degrees on both ranges...)

I know, I am also loving a 20 weight csTs with better startups and lower wear on each subsequent restarts, oil warms up and RPMs lower on start-up with full synthetic 0w-20 oil , the one I am using has a unique low density formula.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back