08 lacrosse TRACTION CONTROL ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a very well cared for 08 lacrosse with 64,000 miles,,, a few weeks ago started noticing small shudder/hesitation when making tight turns, yesterday when making a u turn my traction control dash light comes on and my info center says SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL UNIT and SERVICE THEFT DETERANT UNIT. drove it home with then only the info panel saying service the traction control unit and cannot switch the traction control light off....ANY THOUGHTS or suggestions...is this something simple and not to expensive..? is a dealer visit in my future or a regular good mechanic can handle this...thanks in advance.

I'd guess it's a wheel speed sensor issue, but you'd need a scan with a more advanced scan tool to identify it.

I'd go to a trusted mechanic. I had a similar issue on mine, turns out I ran over some debris that cut the harness running to the wheel. Mine said "SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM" and "SERVICE ABS SYSTEM" as well as lighting the ABS light and Traction Control off light. It wasn't too expensive of a repair. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: JTK
I'd guess it's a wheel speed sensor issue, but you'd need a scan with a more advanced scan tool to identify it.

/thread

It would actually be cheaper if it were also an ABS issue as that would point to the commonality of a wheel speed sensor.

I'm afraid you have a module with scrambled brains, or solder failure, or bad capacitors, or...

So is your whole thread until you pull codes and start tracing wires
thumbsup2.gif

A module might have gone too.

If it's expensive consider having your old one rebuilt. $300 for an ABS/Traction control module for my BMW at ModuleMaster, with a 5 year guarantee. The cost for a new one plus the usual 'this and that' would have been $1400 at my usual specialty repair shop. I replaced it myself. It took less than 5 minutes to remove it and less than 5 minutes to replace it. PS That service writer no longer works at the specialty shop. They now (and possibly even then) have them rebuilt as well.

the next day started it up, traction off control light is gone, have not had a single issue since, but today I did find a broken wire that goes to my brake fluid resivor...??? strange

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
the next day started it up, traction off control light is gone, have not had a single issue since, but today I did find a broken wire that goes to my brake fluid resivor...??? strange

Did it snow or anything the day you had the issue?

it sounds to me like the TC was actually working and the sharp U-Turn was tight and quick enough for it to try to brake the faster wheel. Its the same as tight cornering with braking can trigger ABS. Fancier systems should have a steering angle sensor so that the computer allows the turn or even biases to support it. A bad sensor could throw it off, but you need to pull codes for clues.

and, there might not be anything wrong. You may have just driven aggressively outside its expected parameters. I'd wait to see if it gets worse or the error comes back.

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back