08 Honda Pilot Power Steering pump.

I’m digging into an issue that’s been an irritant for a while now. 2008 Honda Pilot SE. 225,000 miles. Last year I started getting some serious noise when steering. I took the cheapest route first and got a Honda o-ring kit for the power steering pump and it helped. Fast forward three months and we’re back to squeaking. I bought a rock auto power steering pump for about $130 and some Honda PS fluid and changed it out. MUCH better. Well, the last month or so it’s been whining again and a few times, for just a brief moment, it acts like I have no power steering at all. I’ve checked for leaks, checked fluid level and color, see no bubbles, etc. So, I call the dealer closest to me and they want almost $700 for just the part. That’s insanity. I get paying more for an OEM part but that’s a bit much. There has to be some middle ground here.

So, I’m here to ask the group for suggestions on a quality part that isn’t gonna break the bank. It’s an easy DIY job I’ve done before and I don’t plan to go the cheapest route, but OEM is too expensive right now. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:
I replaced the PS pump on our '06 TSX 4 banger with a $60 Amazon new pump. That was maybe 5 years ago and it has been fine.
If you have your original pump, I would take it to a good rebuilder.

I replaced the PS pump on our '06 TSX 4 banger with a $60 Amazon new pump. That was maybe 5 years ago and it has been fine.
If you have your original pump, I would take it to a good rebuilder.
I don’t have the original unfortunately. What brand did you use off Amazon? Thanks for the reply.

Would that qualify as a “quality part” that I asked about in my initial post?
Yes. I have rebuilt many of these Honda P/S pumps for leaks, but not for the symptoms you described. I have a few threads on here regarding the rebuild.

I have had zero issues with the new Chinesium pumps. They're just expensive nowadays compared to before.

Yes. I have rebuilt many of these Honda P/S pumps for leaks, but not for the symptoms you described. I have a few threads on here regarding the rebuild.

I have had zero issues with the new Chinesium pumps. They're just expensive nowadays compared to before.
I will look them up. Thank you.

Same as Jeff(actually, because of his post), I bought the Amazon pump when my Accord started making noise. I'd have to look to see when it was, but it was around a year ago and so far, so good. I'm also using the Lubegard Honda fluid, not that I think that matters, I just wanted to try something different and it was just about the same price as I could get the Honda OEM fluid for.

OReilly has a house brand Honda PS fluid. Avout $5 per quart. I have renewed the fluid in several Honda/Acura cars with it. So far so good.
I suck the old fluid out the return line using the MityVac then fill the reservoir and suck the new fluid through. Easy peasy.

OReilly has a house brand Honda PS fluid. Avout $5 per quart. I have renewed the fluid in several Honda/Acura cars with it. So far so good.
I suck the old fluid out the return line using the MityVac then fill the reservoir and suck the new fluid through. Easy peasy.
I’ve wondered about those mightyvacs. They seem like a good product.

If a cheaper pump was used, would it be worth adding an inline filter on the return in case of metal shedding?

If a cheaper pump was used, would it be worth adding an inline filter on the return in case of metal shedding?
I wouldn't bother. But PS fluid services, including cleaning the reservoir are a good idea. The reservoir has a screen. I spray brake fluid in backwards.

I’m digging into an issue that’s been an irritant for a while now. 2008 Honda Pilot SE. 225,000 miles. Last year I started getting some serious noise when steering. I took the cheapest route first and got a Honda o-ring kit for the power steering pump and it helped. Fast forward three months and we’re back to squeaking. I bought a rock auto power steering pump for about $130 and some Honda PS fluid and changed it out. MUCH better. Well, the last month or so it’s been whining again and a few times, for just a brief moment, it acts like I have no power steering at all. I’ve checked for leaks, checked fluid level and color, see no bubbles, etc. So, I call the dealer closest to me and they want almost $700 for just the part. That’s insanity. I get paying more for an OEM part but that’s a bit much. There has to be some middle ground here.

So, I’m here to ask the group for suggestions on a quality part that isn’t gonna break the bank. It’s an easy DIY job I’ve done before and I don’t plan to go the cheapest route, but OEM is too expensive right now. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

A lot of guys swear by rebuilding the seals in the old pump. I had good luck with a junkyard part from a newer model with pretty low miles - it was about the same price as an Amazon part, it is still working well after about 3 years.

Wow. Even my 05 Jetta had electric.
My 04 Jetta was hydraulic. My 11 Camry was too but only because it was base model, all the rest had gone electric. Costs money to change over, have to burn through inventory and/or contracts, on top of designing in something new.

Back