06 Grand Cherokee Trans question

RLM

I am looking at a 2006 Grand Cherokee with 3.7L and Auto 5 speed transmission. The Trans fluid dipstick hole is capped off and says for dealer use only. What gives? How can I service this transmission and is ATF+4 the correct fluid? Thanks for any help.

Requires a scan tool and a special dipstick made by Miller tool which makes Chrysler's special tools.The fluid level goes by the fluid tempature.Use the ATF+4 fluid only.

Your tranny calls for ATF+4 fluid. You can use an ATF+4 specific fluid or you can use a universal fluid from Royal Purple, Redline, Schaeffers, Amsoil, etc... that is rated compatible with ATF+4. RP Max ATF and Redline( forget which formula it is )works well in ATF+4 applications. I have heard Amsoil ATF does as well. Schaeffers offers a very good fluid as well and they say it works in Chrysler transmissions. However, they don't specify ATF+4. I would ask them 1st. My order of preferrence would be... RP Redline Schaeffers Amsoil Those are all expensive premium fluids however so if you just want a basic ATF+4 I recommend the Valvoline fluid.

Last edited:
If the wrong fluid is used in this transmission,it will do damage if the ATF+4 fluid is not used.This transmission is used in the Chargers and 300s also.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
If the wrong fluid is used in this transmission,it will do damage if the ATF+4 fluid is not used.This transmission is used in the Chargers and 300s also.
If you use the wrong fluid in any transmission damage will occur. Running an ATF+4 rated/compatible fluid as I mentioned above will not damage the tranny.

Quote:
If the wrong fluid is used in this transmission,it will do damage
This I agree with
 Quote:
it will do damage if the ATF+4 fluid is not used.
This I do not.

I've been selling a Universal Synthetic ATF+4, Mercon V, SP-III, etc. to the Chrysler, Mitsubishi and Ford dealers here for about 3 years or more. They are very happy with the results.

My mom has the same transmission in her 2005 and it calls for ATF+4. It has a dipstick, however. I suspect that the "Dealer use only" cap on the dipstick tube is there so the ATF can only be checked with a special service tool. I would like to know if you buy a dipstick from a 2005, and put it where the "Dealer use only" cap is, will it measure ATF levels.