05 wrangler 4.0 oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Castrol Edge HM 10w40 in my Jeep.

I'm either a HDEO or an A3/B4 fan for these. A 40 weight at the minimum though.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Surprisingly this 4.0 is very quiet

Uh oh is there something wrong with it?
crackmeup2.gif

I am still running what is my third Jeep in line 6. They are a fun engine, lots of personality. They do best on a thick for grade 30 grade or a thin for grade 40 grade. If you a looking for the absolute lowest "wear numbers" you will generally achieve it with a conventional oil in this engine, Pennzoil is great in them for example.

For those worried about iron levels on this engine, I wouldn't.

It is a low revving tank. Documented to do 300k miles easy. Overbuilt, unstressed and mostly cast iron. Perhaps M1 helps to dissolve crud so well there's added iron leaching into the mix. But I can tell you after 150k miles the engine looked new inside. And ran with hardly any noises.

Except for the cylinder head issue. And the rotted frame. Which will happen in a salt state no matter what. The same frame that Chrysler stopped making after their bankruptcy...

Whatever will ruin a TJ in 2017, it won't be due to the oil choice.

That 4.0 is an insanely bullet proof engine and even irregular oil changes with the cheapest oil money could buy (that's API rated) will see that engine well past the life expectancy of your frame.

Sadly, your frame is notorious to rust and rot. Being in the NY, your frame integrity is what is going to be the determining factor on your Jeep's lifespan.

If your frame is solid and you work diligently to keep it that way, I would say rock whatever oil you like that meets the spec!

That being said, I personally like synthetics and run Red Line and M1.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture
That 4.0 is an insanely bullet proof engine and even irregular oil changes with the cheapest oil money could buy (that's API rated) will see that engine well past the life expectancy of your frame.

Sadly, your frame is notorious to rust and rot. Being in the NY, your frame integrity is what is going to be the determining factor on your Jeep's lifespan.

If your frame is solid and you work diligently to keep it that way, I would say rock whatever oil you like that meets the spec!

That being said, I personally like synthetics and run Red Line and M1.

I would actually consider one of these vehicles. I would put them on par with our 3.4's but the 4.0 has more power.

As for what oil for this engine I would say a HDEO 5w40 synthetic is the best for these. The 4.0 jeeps and and subaru engine love this type of oil.

After reading around on many forums I've narrowed it to rotella t5 or t6. Will one be better for me than the other? I want one to run all year round. Upstate NY winters and summers

Ran whatever was on sale at the time, 10w30 in the summer, 5w30 in the winter months in my old 2002 TJ with the inline six, changed roughly every 6k miles. Great engine with the manal trans. fun vehicle with the top down cruising.

After reading around on many forums I've narrowed it to rotella t5 or t6. Will one be better for me than the other? I want one to run all year round. Upstate NY winters and summers

If you want to run just one oil year round you would be better off with a 0w40 IMO. The T5 is about perfect thickness for the 4.0 but being a thick for grade 10w30 winter starts would be brutal. The T6 is better suited for winter being a 5w40 but it's a thick 40, so still not optimum for those winter starts.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

If you want to run just one oil year round you would be better off with a 0w40 IMO. The T5 is about perfect thickness for the 4.0 but being a thick for grade 10w30 winter starts would be brutal. The T6 is better suited for winter being a 5w40 but it's a thick 40, so still not optimum for those winter starts.

I thought about Castrol 0w40 as i figured it would be fine year round. But was unsure about it. Would you guys say that would be a good choice? Or would running a mix of t5 summer and t6 winter be a better idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back