'03 Corolla First Trans Pan Drop- 126K Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just though I would share some photos and my experience servicing the Corolla transmission. I did the first drain/fill on this car around 28K miles. I've been doing regular drain/fills since then. It's had Schaeffer All-trans, Maxlife, and now Amsoil.

Yesterday I dropped the pan for the first time at 126,500 miles. Everything looked good, fluid was very bright red. The magnets had a lot of crud on them. There was hardly any grime on the pan itself and a mild amount on the filter.

I changed the filter as well. Used the Napa kit. I had high hopes for this since it came with a rubber gasket and not a cork one. Plus, the parts dealer(online) wanted a nice chunk of change for their filter and gasket. However, I wish I would've gotten the Toyota pan gasket now as the Napa gasket was about 1/2" too long. No way it would fit. I ended up re-using the factory gasket as was still solid and pliable. Filter worked just fine though. FYI, the dealership in town wouldn't even give me a price on a filter, he said "you don't replace them, just clean them, as they are just screens". Well it's definitely replaceable.

It usually takes 3-3.4 qts when doing a drain/fill. Dropping the pan and changing the filter yielded about right at 4qts. Amsoil and 4oz LG went in. So far so good, nice shifting and no leaks(knock on wood).

The material on the magnet looks so white because of the way the sun hit it.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Is this hwy only? When I did my 03 at 60,000 miles of mostly city driving, it was much worse.

Unknown up to 26K. 40K were put on when I was a courier. That required a good amount of both highway and city, running the car 6-12 hours a day. I put on ~15K driving to clinicals, which was 150/miles a day mostly highway. Mixed driving these days.

To answer your question in short though
smile.gif
; I would say mostly highway miles up to this point.

That's actually a lighter grey. The sun was so bright that when I took the pic, it looked white. It's actually ferrous material on the magnet.

I would not add any additive to Amsoil. You have one of the best ATFs out there and nothing else is needed.

Are you going to do a few more drain & fills? It has a drain plug I think.

Magnefine inline filter now would pretty much eliminate you ever dropping the pan again to change the filter.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would not add any additive to Amsoil. You have one of the best ATFs out there and nothing else is needed.

Are you going to do a few more drain & fills? It has a drain plug I think.

Magnefine inline filter now would pretty much eliminate you ever dropping the pan again to change the filter.

Adding LG is my personal choice. I've been doing it for some time now, habit I guess. Certainly hasn't hurt anything though.

I do drain/fills regularly since the pan does have a drain plug. Thanks for the Magnefine suggestion. I'm not going to drop the pan again for quite some time.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Does it shift any different with the new filter?

Honestly I feel it shifts a little smoother. Hard to say if it was the filter, LG, or the now 10qts of Amsoil that have been through it. Or all three in combination.

Thanks for sharing. I may do this on the '06. Did you ever get a price on the OE parts? Just curious. Rockauto has some aftermarket kits for approx $20.

Originally Posted By: theKman
Thanks for sharing. I may do this on the '06. Did you ever get a price on the OE parts? Just curious. Rockauto has some aftermarket kits for approx $20.

I bought the Napa kit for $16.99. Had it not been for the useless gasket, it would have been a good deal. I found some good prices for OE parts at Midatlantic Toyota parts website. Filter is $36.86 and the trans pan gasket is $11.47 (I highly recommend getting OE for this). For reference, the dealer wouldn't quote me a filter, but wanted $25 for just the pan gasket.

That fluid looks really good, did you do any drain and refills before dropping the pan?

My girlfriend had a 97 Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla) and it had a drain plug on the trans pan.

Originally Posted By: stchman
That fluid looks really good, did you do any drain and refills before dropping the pan?

My girlfriend had a 97 Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla) and it had a drain plug on the trans pan.

Yeah I've done quite a few drain/fills since it's so easy. Actually I've probably changed it too much, but I'm going to leave it alone for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back