02 subaru wrx trans and diff fluid recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 subaru wrx. I want to change out the differential fluid and transmission fluid because I don't know when they were last changed. From what I've seen it seems that amsoil severe is among ine of the best and i can get that locally. My questions is they offer 75w90 and 75w110. Which would be better for the trans and diff? Would one weight be better for one and another weight for the other? The car is currently about 300whp, it is a daily driver and doesn't see track use but does get spirited driving.

I owned an 07' WRX once. I don't recommend the Uncle Scotty cocktail. The transmission is fragile and the best oil on Earth won't make up that the transmission was originally designed for 75 HP. Budget for a new transmission when it explodes.

I'm not expecting it to help the trans in relation to exploding. Just want to change the fluid as I'm not sure it's ever been done and I like to keep my cars maintained.

SVG is a great fluid. Motul Gear 300 is another stellar fluid. Stay away from cocktails. Change every 30k and don't beat the sheet out of it by dropping the clutch at redline or speedshifting with your gas foot on the floor.

Drive the car for 15-20 minutes to get the fluid warm and circulated, then drain it. Enjoy!

Trust me the car definitely doesn't get launched or anything like that proper warm up and cool down. Spirited driving at most and that's just a quick pull on 3rd or so. I'm trying to pro long it's reliability. I guess no one around has amsoil like I thought. What else would you guys recommend for off the shelf fluid?

why not 80W90 HD dino In the rear diff if the service manual lists 80w-Xx. Most of hypoid magic is in the the additives not the oil. I hear Naphthenic does fine in non-combustion places

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I have a 2002 subaru wrx. I want to change out the differential fluid and transmission fluid because I don't know when they were last changed. From what I've seen it seems that amsoil severe is among ine of the best and i can get that locally. My questions is they offer 75w90 and 75w110. Which would be better for the trans and diff? Would one weight be better for one and another weight for the other? The car is currently about 300whp, it is a daily driver and doesn't see track use but does get spirited driving.

I have a 2014 Subaru WRX and changed my fluid at 12500 to the Amsoil long life 75W-90 in both the transmission and the rear differential. its been 8000 miles and the car shifts smoother than the OEM stuff I drained out. I would recommend the Amsoil Severe Gear or the Long Life Gear oil.

At this point a new transmission isn't in order. I'm aware of how weak it is. I was simply asking what fluid would be good for it.

This: Amsoil SVT 75W-110

I have 30K+ miles on the fluid in mine and it shifts perfectly, just like the day I filled it. Odd that the guys (some guy old scotty or soemthing) at NASIOC said it would degrade rapidly. Not the case at all. Put the same fluid in the rear diff.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I have 30K+ miles on the fluid in mine and it shifts perfectly, just like the day I filled it. Odd that the guys (some guy old scotty or soemthing) at NASIOC said it would degrade rapidly. Not the case at all. Put the same fluid in the rear diff.

This.

The only tough trans I had (in over 70 cars) in a high torque high HP engine was a muncie m21 4 speed. Most 200+ hp engines will eat transmissions if you drive them like a banshee; BTDT
smile.gif

Subaru is known for having excellent manual transmissions for NA applications.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Why 75W-110 over the spec'd 75W-90?

I had issues in my STI using Motul Gear 300 in the tranny. It was OK, but not very smooth. Adding Redline NS gear oil worked well, since it's absence of friction modifiers was ideal for synchro engagement. It wasn't perfect or even a night and day difference, but there was improvement in shift quality, from what I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back