02 Silverado 5.3L Ext Cab broken door handle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to replace a broken extended cab door handle to rear passenger door.
Dealer wants 70 plus dollars and mentions no reinforcement.

I've seen metal reinforced door handles for around 30 dollars a pair (on eBay with 10 year warranty) and OEM replacements (non reinforced) for 11 dollars on Amzn.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00266YNUE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AXENHP79YDQOJ&psc=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Extended-Cab-3rd-Third-Side-Door-Handle-Pair-for-Silverado-Sierra-Truck-/311850212211?epid=818619209&hash=item489bb89b73:g:SFkAAOSw8lpZNAhk&vxp=mtr

Would like to know if anyone here has had to replace these handles and what are the best options.
Just want to replace the broken handle with a solid one and not have to be purchasing multiple handles.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

If the dealership is doing the repair and part for $70 I would just let them do it. Replacing door handles is one of the things I despise doing myself. If it's just the part tho I would probably go with a matching design to fit in with the other handle unless you plan on replacing both.

14 years really isn't that bad and I know from past experience some sellers can be less then honest. I've bought replacement handles that clearly look metal online just to get some cheap plastic handles that appear to be metal but feel far more fragile then the ones your going to replace.

I got the metal one for my old s10 because the oem plastic ones are weak and break all the time. The metal one will last forever

I replaced the outer door handle on my 2004 Silverado. I bought a new one from a dealer and it was only $45.00. Not all that hard to replace, but I don't know how those inner handles are. I'd let the dealer do it for that price if it was me.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I got the metal one for my old s10 because the oem plastic ones are weak and break all the time. The metal one will last forever

Keep thinking that...............
whistle.gif

As for the 1500'they are cheap on prime and break eventually, usually on drivers side. Really easy to replace too. I did my 2000 and it was super simple and I don't recall even pulling the inner panel. Just a couple 10 mm bolts in the doors edge, hops right out . 2 rods to hook up. So easy even a manager could do it.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back