02 Sentra Nissan Coolant?

I will be getting a leaking radiator replaced on a 02 Sentra 1.8 AT and confused on the proper coolant to use. Im thinking either go with whats in the system now with Prestone All vehicle or jump in Zerex Asian Green (Blue is recommended by Zerex, but its no where in stock readily at least).

Background
On my most recent cooling system flush (3-4 yrs ago) I dropped the factory fill (green color if memory serves me right), flushed the system with DI water until it was appreciably clear, and refilled with Prestone Concentrated All Vehicle. Now that I spent a little more time, I see that Prestone All vehicle might have not been the proper choice (due to 2EHA) and by extension was wondering whether it might have caused the leak in the radiator.

The shop that would be working on it mentioned that Prestone All vehicle is fine and no need to switch over. Flushing would be extra, and their advice is since you never really get the old coolant out of the engine with simple drain and fill, Zerex Asian Green might not place nice when mixed with the residual Prestone All vehicle.

You kept the factory fill in that car for 16 years?

Before he passed away, my dad said he never changed the coolant on his 1998 Nissan Frontier. Not sure if he was kidding or what, but when I inherited it last year, I drained the coolant and refilled with Zerex Asian Blue. What was in it was green and it still looks green. I will probably drain and refill it again this fall.

I have the shop manual for this Nissan Frontier and it doesn't say anything about the coolant spec other than that it's ethylene glycol.

My 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5S(gen3 '02 -'06) had from the factory, OE, Nissan Green.
The owner's manual only called for NISSAN OE or ethylene glycol for the coolant and mentioned nothing else.
And all this '04 Altima ever saw was PEAK Long Life All Makes/All Models in the 11 years that I owned it from new. It was an easy car to maintain. 5W/10W30 any oil, Dexron III or newer ATF for tranny & P/S, DOT3 brake fluid & ethylene glycol. It doesn't get any easier than that.

This was a car that, in a perfect world I would have driven it for the rest of my life, I liked it that much. ATMOF, the only thing I didn't like about it was its fuel economy for a 4 cyl. CITY/COMB mpg was OK but the HIWY mpg was pitiful.

Last edited:
You kept the factory fill in that car for 16 years?

Before he passed away, my dad said he never changed the coolant on his 1998 Nissan Frontier. Not sure if he was kidding or what, but when I inherited it last year, I drained the coolant and refilled with Zerex Asian Blue. What was in it was green and it still looks green. I will probably drain and refill it again this fall.

I have the shop manual for this Nissan Frontier and it doesn't say anything about the coolant spec other than that it's ethylene glycol.
Yup, the PO believed in "if it aint broke". I didnt realize that Nissan of that era had a factory filled green until later on.

My 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5S(gen3 '02 -'06) had from the factory, OE, Nissan Green.
The owner's manual only called for NISSAN OE or ethylene glycol for the coolant and mentioned nothing else.
And all this '04 Altima ever saw was PEAK Long Life All Makes/All Models in the 11 years that I owned it from new. It was an easy car to maintain. 5W/10W30 any oil, Dexron III or newer ATF for tranny & P/S, DOT3 brake fluid & ethylene glycol. It doesn't get any easier than that.

This was a car that, in a perfect world I would have driven it for the rest of my life, I liked it that much. ATMOF, the only thing I didn't like about it was its fuel economy for a 4 cyl. CITY/COMB mpg was OK but the HIWY mpg was pitiful.
Thats good to hear. My only concern with Nissans are their tendency to have cooling system issues, specifically headgasket failure. If 2-EHA is as bad as they say, I dont want to risk further damage and just dump and start anew.

Yup, the PO believed in "if it aint broke". I didnt realize that Nissan of that era had a factory filled green until later on.

I'd like to know exactly what kind of coolant they used, but the shop manual doesn't say. Normally you'd see a part number or a specification.

I'd like to know exactly what kind of coolant they used, but the shop manual doesn't say. Normally you'd see a part number or a specification.
999MP-AF000P is the part # for the green coolant.
Usually NOT diluted. Mix with distilled water in a 50/50 ratio before use.
3A6gQu6.png

999MP-L25500P is the part # for the blue coolant found in newer Nissan vehicles.
Usually prediluted. Just use in the car straight out of the jug.
o5h8X7k.png

999MP-L255QTP is also blue.
Confusingly called a concentrate but the jug says you should not mix with water. It also states "dealer use only".
espblGK.png

Nissan TSB # NTB09-04a or Infiniti TSB # ITB09-029a

In summary:
1. Blue coolant
Long life stuff, it comes in newer models from the factory.
Nissan sources mention that from the factory, it will last 10 years/135,000 miles. Elsewhere it also says that from the factory it is good for 7 years/105,000 miles.
However, if you flushed and filled with this coolant as a service, it is good for 5 years/75,000 miles.

2. Green coolant
Nissan alludes to a life of 4 years/60,000 miles

3. Mixture of Blue + Green coolants
Will result in the mixture taking the shorter life of 4 years/60,000 miles.

The Zerex Asian Blue and Asian Green don't seem to have any difference other than the color, from what I was able to find out.

When did Nissan start using the long life Green coolant 999MP-AF000P?

The Zerex Asian Blue and Asian Green don't seem to have any difference other than the color, from what I was able to find out.

When did Nissan start using the long life Green coolant 999MP-AF000P?
The green is not long life and spec for pre-2011 I believe. It mentions the green having 4/60k lifespan

Zerex Asian vehicle Green/Blue are the same, but there is a price delta of $2 more for the blue.

Back